Is a 20 gallon tall tank good for one Axolotl?

NoahF

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon tall tank that i have been setting up for about a month now and it just occured to me... is my tank to tall? And i am able to keep my tank temperture at about a constant 67-69 degrees, is that good for an Axolotl?:confused:

It doesn't matter how tall it is, Axolotls are tolerant of depth. What matter is the amount of floor space, and a 20 gal has enough of that.
Your temps are very good.

hello, well a 20 gallon is alittle big for one axolotl but i started out with a ten gallon instead. since axolotls are a social animal, i would get 2 axolotls. also the temperater you are keeping it at is just fine. good luck!

Hmm, thank you for all the help guys but im still a lil bit iffy about getting two but ill look into it.

well the only thing you should be worried about if you get a 2nd one is if they could have babies. but you can prevent them from having babies anyway. just have to keep your eye on them when they reach 18-24 months old.

Ok thank you so much.

Axolotls are most definitely not social animals. They are completely solitary and independent and form no bonds with other individuals at all. As a highly opportunistic species, they will cannibalize their own if given the chance.
Floor space matters. The volume is fine (no such thing as too big, that´s just nonsense).
Could you meassure the bottom surface dimensions?

A 20 long would be better for 2. A 20 gallon tall is gonna be ok for 1 adult but not 2. They are not social and if cramped for space will bite each other. Heck they may bite each other even with enough space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back