Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How does this look?

kirty

Reaction score
We finally bought our first axolotyls and they seem to be settling well. I just wanted to put up some photos of my tank and see if anyone had any feedback or suggestions. Substrate is river stones and sand. The plants are real but I have also ordered several silk plants to fill the tank more. There are two filters at opposite ends and there isn't a great deal of water flow. The water is still a bit brown because the wood is still leaching tanin. How does it look so far? Any suggestions?

fca2d369.jpg

703dff70.jpg

7121eef5.jpg

iChris

Reaction score
looks ok.

keep in mind though that river stones like that trap a large amount of waste and as this waste rots, it will mess with your water quality. something you would want to avoid if it's a new tank and not established.

also make sure that all the stones are larger than your axoltol's head as they do have big mouths and tend to swallow things they shouldn't. and their mouths only get bigger as they grow.

ilomilo

Reaction score
looks ok.

keep in mind though that river stones like that trap a large amount of waste and as this waste rots, it will mess with your water quality. something you would want to avoid if it's a new tank and not established.

also make sure that all the stones are larger than your axoltol's head as they do have big mouths and tend to swallow things they shouldn't. and their mouths only get bigger as they grow.

I agree with iChris about the rocks, but otherwise I think it looks very nice. I like the symmetry that you've pulled off. Well done.

Jenste

Reaction score
As long as you use a decent siphon and really get down in between the rocks and don't skip on Water Changes then you should be fine. I have had set ups with rocks of all sizes before and haven't had a problem.

tusken raider

Reaction score
You should attach some plants such as java fern/moss or anubias nana to the pots and drift wood, it would look great as it grows

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1