Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton Labiatus Bloat

GreenDragon

Reaction score
First of all, I am aware that Pachytriton Labiatus is no longer the correct name, but I am unsure of my species since the names were changed.

:cry: So it appears that my first newt, Sally has a bloating problem.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/greendragon-albums-paddletail-newt-bloat.html

And I know that she may die soon. She has been like this for two days and I really don't know what to do. I am also unsure of what caused the bloat, but do know that it is most likely a fluid bloat.

I have moved her to a second enclosure and she will not eat. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this because she was my first newt and I would hate to see her go. :(

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are a number of possible causes, so this kind of thing is very difficult to diagnose and treat. It could be bacterial in which case antibiotics would help, but it could be a kidney failure too, which would be pretty much terminal. Try to find a specialized vet if at all possible. Keep the animal cool.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
:( It seems to be getting much worse today. She is very weak and occasionally flips herself upside down and has trouble getting back up.

I have decided to put her in the fridge for now. Will that kill her if she stays too long?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, as a stream species they can deal very well and in fact thrive at very low temps, even down to 3-4ºC.
Sorry to hear it´s getting worse...

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So, just recently I went to a shop which specializes in reptiles and amphibians, and they told me that excess heat may be the cause.

I also just realized that my tank's temperature is about 75-78 degrees! None of my other newts have been affected, but could heat have caused the bloat?

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
It could be that the individual is more susceptible to the heat than the others, due to unknown circumstances. I think you should definitely get your tank at cooler temps to prevent this from happening to the others.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those temps are completely inadequate for this genus. As i said, they are stream dwellers, so they inhabit fast moving, oxigen rich, cold waters. Heat can definitely be a trigger of bloat, as it weakens the inmune system and leaves the animal vulnerable to infections like pseudomonas. But it could also cause organ failure by increasing the metabolism well beyond the usual. Pachytriton and high temps are an almost guaranteed disaster.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
I moved the entire tank to my basement and I am doing whatever I can to keep the tank cool. Right now the temperature is around 65 degrees, but she seems to be only getting bigger :(.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the common causes of bloat is heat stress leading to kidney damage which results in bloat. This is potentially what's happened in your case. Other causes such as bacterial infections can sometimes be treated with antibiotics although these can be ineffective and lead to further complications.

Your two options are to keep it cool and hope that the kidney damage is reversible or seek veterinarian assistance in and attempt to establish if a bacterial infection is the cause and treat appropriately.

If your newt continues to worsen you may also consider euthanasia as and option. See here.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
:cry: I wasn't able to keep her alive long enough to be able to treat her.......

R.I.P. Sally the Salamander,

She will be forever missed :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1