Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Lump on foot?

Zarakityy

Reaction score
Hey :) I'm mid-changing tanks and I noticed this lump on my poor babys foot! She has two, one on her front left and back right.. I couldnt get the back right because it's too small and out of focus. They look like pimples... Can anyone help?
She's eating like the normal pig she is, and is as active as usual..

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,702
  • photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,814
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,961

Zarakityy

Reaction score
It's getting worse, her leg looks like it's falling off. Someone please help! I've been giving her salt baths for 15 minutes, has anyone else had this problem?? Please help

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,782

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is she able to use the leg at all? When walking, does she grip the ground with the foot, or is it flapping loosely and uselessly?

If the wound is raw, I would stop the salt baths as these will irritate the skin and stress the axolotl further.

The photos are a little small to see much detail, but from what I can see I would strongly recommend taking her to a vet. The foot looks like it may need to be amputated, and if it does, this needs to be done by a vet.

Here is a list of Herp Vets in Australia: Herp Vets in Australia

Zarakityy

Reaction score
She can use her leg, it doesn't seem to be affecting her much.
Do you know how much it costs to see a herp vet?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know how much it costs to see a herp vet?

It was a few years ago when I took one of my axolotls to the Warranwood vet clinic. Luckily, I'm sorting out my overflowing papers to (finally) file away, and managed to find that vet receipt.

The consultation for an "exotic/unusual pet" was $81.80. But, bear in mind that this included the vet taking a gill sample from the axolotl and conducting other tests, as she (the axolotl) had a severe bacterial infection. So I imagine that your consultation will be more 'straightforward' and hopefully won't cost that much.

Whereabouts in Australia are you based? Other Australian members may be able to recommend a vet they've had success with in the past if they know whereabouts you are.

Does the leg look like it may come off by itself? If there is no sign of fungus or infection, you can wait a couple of days before taking the axolotl to the vet, to see if the leg drops off naturally.

Are you able to take some close up shots of the leg? The photos you've attached are rather small; it's hard to make out details.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!