Using prime with axie in tank

constellatia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my tank had perfect readings for a week when i added my axolotl. now they've jumped to:

ammonia: .25
nitrite: .25
nitrate: 10.0

could i add prime to the water daily to help out my axolotl?

and does anyone have an opinion on stability?

Did you add him to an uncycled tank, or were you adding him to an established/cycled tank? The nitrate level isn't a problem (and honestly, makes me guess the tank was at least partially cycled), but the ammonia and nitrite sound like they may be getting dangerously high soon. Right now they're bad long term, but shouldn't do too much damage.

Prime should help, but large daily (or twice daily) water changes are your best chance to keep him safe if you're going through a cycle. Myself, I would keep an eye on conditions and do 50% changes as necessary and use a bit higher levels of Prime to detoxify on your water changes (but not the max dose mentioned on the label) because I've had pretty good luck with it. I'm very hesitant to use too much with mine, because amphibians tend to be very sensitive to chemicals...but mine has had no problems to moderate dosages.

Regarding stability...I don't think it really sticks around in the tank very long, and it would probably be bad if it did so. I think it probably breaks down/reacts fairly quickly.

Not too sure about 50% as that poses too much of a risk of knocking out ALL the bacteria (been there,done that, got the freakout to prove it), not just getting rid of the ammonia :) A better bet is two 10-20% changes two to three times a day, as you don't want to get out ALL the ammonia or your cycle will be destroyed. Also, make sure you're priming your tap water as opposed to your tank (unless it gets over 0.5, at which point you can prime the lot)As to stability, I'd be wary of it during cycling. Also, if you want to not watch your chemical levels like a hawk, maybe take the axie out into a smaller container, 100% water changes a day and buy a few guppies (I used 9) to keep the cycle going, and if they die, it's not as bad as loosing a lotl :)

The cycle seemingly was completed, it cycled for a few weeks and provided perfect parameters for a week before adding the axolotl. It spiked up to these numbers a week after and has read consistently without change these numbers. I'm hoping it'll sort itself out and the prime will protect my axie while it works itself out.

Bloodworm is so messy, so I've been cutting earthworm into little pieces for his small mouth, is this more efficient? I'm trying not to create too much mess and ammonia.

I've also been doing 20% changes daily and cleaning up the bottom with a turkey baster.

Yeah, it should, but as I said, don't knock out ALL your ammonia.
As to food, earthworms are excellent, and much easier on the cleanup front. If you think he can handle a full one, don't be afraid to let him give it a go- they LOVE it! Also good (and nutritionally acceptable) are pellets, which keep the food in an easy to clean up format. Additionally you can teach your axies to eat from a pipette- the trick is teaching yourself not to jump when they get overexcited!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back