Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing Shrimp

constellatia

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to add a couple ghost or cherry shrimp to my 20 gal aquarium with my axolotl. I don't really mind if he munches them, just curious about the shrimp's life span and how to properly introduce them. Should they be quarantined for 30 days before adding them in with my axie? Thank you!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Agreed on the quarantining- Another thing you can do to give them a better chance is to add in lots of java moss and thick plants for them to hide in. Also whilst you're quarantining them, you can establish a second population in a smaller tank which will provide a stable breeding colony (If you can find someone to swap a few with every few months to keep the genetic variation in your shrimpies, even better :) )

tusken raider

Reaction score
I'll be putting a few in my axy tank soon, not sure how they will go. If you have plants it will give them a better chance

How do the shrimp handle the lower temperature? There not likely to breed in that temp right?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Mine were doing fine at the lowest it reached whilst they were in (9degC), but I don't think they were breeding at that temp, and instead hiding away from the axies, though they managed to get quite a few of them (the survivors formed the start of my new colony, which is going exceedingly well :) )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1