Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Extremely uneven growth!

Carly314

Reaction score
Hello all,

I got my first axolotls (Ed, Shenzi and Bonzai) less than a month ago, and they were about 3 weeks old at the time. One had cannibalized a number of siblings before I got him, so he was about twice the size of my other two. They have been divided in a 10 gallon aquarium since I got them, but I noticed that Ed (the cannibal) has grown almost an inch since I've gotten them, and the others have grown only slightly. The smallest is maybe half an inch and has only stubs for back legs at this point, though both of the others have all four limbs fully developed. The smallest was also almost eaten by Ed at one point before I got them into their new tank at my house- (poor Shenzi was actually in his mouth) but was spit out and survived. None are live fed (they weren't in previous home) and I can't begin feeding blackworms until they are big enough, but all eat frozen daphnia, shrimp and bloodworms every day. The tank is vacuumed almost every day and 30% water change 2-3 times a week. Also, there is a low-impact filter in the tank and both sides have a source of oxygen. I know the parents are in good health and the eggs were well taken care of. I'm wondering if there is another reason for the difference in growth other than the early cannibalism? I know it can affect morphology, but I'm new to the Axolotl community, so any advice is appreciated :) I will be upgrading to a larger tank (probably 20 gal long) when they are 3-4 months old. I attached pictures of the day I brought them home- a shot of all three and one of my large albino.

I want to give all of my little guys the best chance, and welcome advice and tips :)

Thanks!!!

Carly

Attachments

• axolotls 2.JPG
    axolotls 2.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 326
  • Ed.JPG
    Ed.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 264

Martin21114

Reaction score
Axolotls grow at different rates. Some explode to full size, others get there gradually.

xxianxx

Reaction score
As Martins said growth rates vary, once a larvae gets a bit bigger than its siblings it may start to eat them, this increases its growth rate and it can start to get a lot bigger fast allowing it to consume even more of its tank mates. If you are concerned about cannibalism you need to separate them by size. Have you noticed any changes in the relative size of the cannibals jaws and head compared to its siblings ? check this link out http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...-jaw-tooth-structure-canibalistic-larvae.html

Carly314

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, his head is much larger and looks wider (relative to body size). And they have been separated since I got them- I don't plan to reunite until the little ones are too big for him to snack on. I wasn't sure if it was normal for them to grow so slowly considering their brother's growth rate is ridiculous.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1