Illness/Sickness: Treating White Spot With Salt Tank?

Tracer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello everyone

My daughter has two axolotls one who has had white spot a few times thanks to some feeding fish she bought.
She has treated it with salt baths once a day as we don't have time to do it twice. The first time it worked and she didn't know she had to treat the water also so he got it back another twice. She pulled down his big tank and put him into a smaller tank because I will not put them into our fridge. She reset up her tank and has only just put them back into the tank and tonight I notice he has white spot again.

We don't want to have to do the salt baths and pull down the tank again and I was wondering if we can put the salt into the tank instead? Or some other treatment that you give fish? We've heard Methylene blue is safe in low doses but we're not sure how low is low enough. Does anyone know? Would half the dose be good?

Her tank is 60 litres and the temp is around 15 to 20 degrees Celsius.

You can put some salt in the main tank, but not the same dosage you've been using for baths. One Tablespoon per 5 gallons is OK in the main tank.

Methylene blue is considered safe, and a half dose would be wise. You'll need to keep the axie in a separate container during treatment, as it stains everything in sight.

This may still leave you with the problem of eradicating the ich from the main tank. Luckily, ich cannot survive without a host, so treating both axolotls (and removing any fish) should clear the tank in a week or two. Also, you can heat the main tank when both axolotls are out; I don't remember offhand what temperature kills ick, but you can probably look it up on various fish websites.

And the salt will kill the white spot in the main tank also? Will the salt kill any water plants within the tank? So if we were to use the Methylene blue we should put them both into a smaller tank, correct? How long will it be before we can start to see the itch disappearing, just so we know if it's working or not?

Thank you for your time and help, we appreciate it.

Last edited:
OK here goes my opinions and advice based on years of fish aquarium husbandry and my knowledge of fisheries management.

I agree with Jennewt, in what she has said but heres my step by step advice.

1) Remove BOTH axolotls to a hospital tank (your smaller one) while you treat the main tank.
2) Treat the main tank with a water heat treatment. Use an aquarium heater if you have one to put the temperature of the tank above 30 degrees celcuis (I think that's 86 Fahrenheit?). Put the heater on the highest setting as the higher the temperature the better. You do not have to treat this tank with a treatment like methylene blue but you can if you want to, it will only help remove the parasite (you can use it at full dose in the main tank but do at least a 50% water change before you put the axolotls back)
3) You can add salt to the main tank if you wish in a low dose but there are many sources that suggest the salt has no effect on the parasite itself (don't forget that marine fish suffer white spot too), only on the suffering fish (or in this case axolotl). The salt will help you axolotl's gills and will aid healing.
4) AT THE SAME TIME treat the hospital tank with a low dose of salt (to help the axolotls) and whatever treatment you choose (like methylene blue).
5) Treat the main tank for at least 2 weeks as this is the length of the life cycle of the parasite. You may want to replace any filter cartridges in your tank if you have a filter to be safe. This may mean you have to cycle your tank afterwards but its better than white spot. Keep the sand or bare bottom of your aquarium clean of gunk and debris during this time in your normal routine.
6) Treat the hospital tank for at least 2 weeks, but do not put the axolotls back in the main tank until they've been completely white spot clear for at least 1 week in the hospital tank

Hopefully this should help and prevent a future outbreak.

Also I don;t know what your axolotl's diet is but enriching it with a vitamin supplement (feed them occasionally with fortified pellets or gut load earthworms with vitamin enriched mashed potato for example) will help prevent them falling ill again by boosting immunity if it is ever present in your tank again (at least this is true of fish anyway).

Ok you can look away now, essay over!

Last edited:
Alright we will try that then. Should we also do salt baths while having salt or methylene blue in the hospital tank? Should we also do water changes during the treatment on them? How long before we should see the parasite disappear from the axolotl? We're used to seeing it disappear in a day or so with fish, but these two are our first axolotls. It seems to be a fine line between him not having it one day and him having it the next.

My daughter feeds them meat as that's their favourite and also some axolotl pellets. They love earthworms but it's icy cold here right now so they are rare to find. I've seen a fish vitamin in the pet shop that is just a drop in the food would that be okay for them? The brand is Sara.

Yes you can do the salt baths if you wish during the treatment but if you're using methylene blue and salt in the hospital tank it shouldn't be absolutely necessary and might just add extra stress in being removed for a bath once a day. However, the salt baths can only help so its entirely up to you.

Yes you should still do water changes in the hospital tank but remember to do a little top up of the salt. The ammonia and nitrates will build up quickly in a smaller tank. Don't do water changes in the main tank, just keep it as it is until you have treated it for 2 weeks with heat.

As to how long until it clears up I am not sure as I have only experienced it with fish. With fish it should clear up within 3 days. Don't forget to have the axolotl clear for 7 days before putting them back. If it keeps coming and going just continue with the treatment until it completely clears for 7 days. The parasite actually lives in the skin and the white spot it it's attempt at reproduction by breaking the skin, so it may be present in the skin but not visible before it does this.

If you're feeding axolotl pellets you shouldn't need a supplement as vitamins and minerals should be included in good brands. If you want you can check the ingredients to be sure. Vitamin supplements for fish should be OK as it will contain nothing harmful, but if you can find one for amphibians or even reptiles that might be more suitable as they tend to contain more calcium. The fish one, is it liquid? If it is it may be easier to administer as a drop on to their food rather than a dusting of amphibian or reptile powder. It is entirely up to you but like I said, if there's vitamins in the pellets you shouldn't need a supplement.

I know this all sounds like a pain but its better to completely clear the tank and axolotls than have recurrances. Let me know if you have any other questions and bear in mind this is mostly from my work with fish as I haven;t had white spot in my amphibs yet. I'll be interested to hear how it all goes. Good luck

So we can use salt and the methylene blue in the hospital tank at the same time without any risks? Yes it's a bit of a pain but my daughter is doing all the work so I don't mind. I don't know how she finds the time or bother really after it all keeps failing. It's all too much for me but they're growing on me also.

Thank you for all your help, you've been of a great help.

Yes, methylene blue can also be used for marine fish so will have no effect with the salt.

Don't forget that methylene blue will dye everything in the tank, and that can include silicone seals, ornaments, etc, and will kill live plants. Make sure you're ok doing this to your spare tank, if not buy a large plastic box or something to use instead.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back