Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Feeding a non-captive tiger salamander

lbwinkler

Reaction score
We found a tiger salamander on the side of the road crossing from drought stricken corn field to another, and decided to take it home until the weather was a bit better. It has been acting what I've learned is "normal" for a salamander. I do not know whether or not it is eating, I don't believe it is a fully grown adult, but I may be wrong on that too. Regardless it burrows and will not take food from me. I have put earthworms in the enclosure and so it is my hope that its finding them. Any suggestions to make sure it eats would be good, at this point I have no clue. The container it is in is fairly large and impossible to dig up the earth worms to see if it has eaten any. I have read that crickets and roaches make for good food, however I do not want feeder insects running about my apartment if the salamander decides not to eat them.

Thanks,

LW

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Once you take an animal from the wild into captivity, you cannot release it back into the wild after it's spent time in your care, unless you are able to provide a sterile, quarantined environment for it (such as what a certified wildlife rehabilitation would provide). While in your care, it is exposed to numerous chemicals, pathogens and potentially parasites. I rescued a Tiger Salamander much in the same way, and after much struggle I've decided not to release it because of the risks to the local environment.

It can take well over a week for a stressed animal to eat. It took mine about a week and a half before I was able to get it to feed on an earthworm. I placed it up against her snout and let her feel it squirm, then she ate it.

Generally, once you have the animal you will have it for the rest of it's life. Sometimes you can get places like schools, nature centers and science centers to take them, or find someone who can adopt them and care for them properly.

lbwinkler

Reaction score
I don't mind keeping it, that is not a problem. At this point I am just concerned about it not eating. I'll keep trying, it seems to be doing fine otherwise, although I am not 100% sure its using the water in the enclosure or not. I am making sure that the temps and the moisture are kept with in the standards that I've read about, however I am concerned about the winter. I keep Madagascar Hissing cockroaches and I have a heater used for plant seedlings I place under their rubber made container in the winter to keep them happy, but I've read that under the tank heaters are not safe for the salamanders...nor are heat lamps recommended. If there are any suggestions on that respect I would be happy to hear them :)

Thanks for the advice!

LW

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
The main thing is to be patient. They can take a while to settle in and all you can do is provide a water source and let them rest. Sometimes covering the habitat (but still so that air can circulate) can give them more privacy and let them rest better. I use a plant saucer (the one for under pots) as a water dish for mine, and you can use little tupperware containers too. It's best to use distilled or other water that doesn't have chlorine or other chemicals in it. They're very terrestrial and just need a little water to bathe in and drink.

Just toss a few earthworms in and be patient. You don't want to mess with it too much while it settles down. Most Tigers like cool temperatures, but don't need to be kept especially cold. Mine is happiest around 58-64F.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1