Stressed Newt?

KelandM

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a C.orientalis from the local pet store. For the first week it was acting normal, until i got a new tank and put him in. The tank is bigger than the last one and all of a sudden my newt started acting slow and uncoordinated. I looked around online and thought it might be from stress. The next day it woudnt move at all unless you touched it and its just been sitting in the same spot. How come it is acting like this?

Is it sitting on land or underwater?
If it´s on land (which is a typical response of these newts to the terrible conditions and stress suffered during the importation and at the shops), then it´s quite normal for it to be very still and barely move at all. If it´s aquatic, that shouldn´t be the case for a newly acquired animal.

Can you post pictures of the tank? That´ll help give you better advice.
In the meantime, read this:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

It sits on land mostly, i've only seen it in the water several times. I'll try to post a pic of the tank.

In that case, yes, it is a very stressed animal, but the stress manifests in being terrestrial, not in it´s inactivity. As i said earlier, when they are terrestrial they barely move at all. Don´t touch it or disturb it as that will only cause further stress.
For it to go back to a fully aquatic life, you´ll need to offer optimal water conditions. There is tooooooooones of info about this species throughout the forums, so read away!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back