Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Ghost Shrimp?

NoahF

Reaction score
So i was in Petco today buying some live plants, and some ghost shrimp caught my eye. And i was wondering, can axies eat those? Just wondering because they would be a cool snack and help keep my tank clean.:confused:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they are safe tankmates/snacks for axolotls. To be on the safe side, I would recommend a quarantine period of a week or two. Ditto for the plants.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Yup- I'll add in a vote that they are excellent tank mates right through the axie life cycle- I've got 10 of the closely related red cherries in with some of my larvae at the moment (Ones who didn't want to come out of the hatching tank), and the baby shrimp are acting as a pretty good food source, and the adults are an excellent cleanup crew. For my adults (In the last tank build- I reestablished the colony during the current tank layout, and I'll be re-adding them to my next one) they are gorgeous- something to play with, pretty good nutritionally and assist in keeping the tank clean :). One thing I'd suggest is establishing a separate shrimp tank- that way you've got a population on hand and even if your axies get all the ones in your main tank, you won't have to start from scratch again :D

tusken raider

Reaction score
Yes, they are safe tankmates/snacks for axolotls. To be on the safe side, I would recommend a quarantine period of a week or two. Ditto for the plants.

THIS! Red cherry shrimp are also fine, if you can try and get them from someone who breeds them you can get alot more for alot cheaper

NoahF

Reaction score
Yup- I'll add in a vote that they are excellent tank mates right through the axie life cycle- I've got 10 of the closely related red cherries in with some of my larvae at the moment (Ones who didn't want to come out of the hatching tank), and the baby shrimp are acting as a pretty good food source, and the adults are an excellent cleanup crew. For my adults (In the last tank build- I reestablished the colony during the current tank layout, and I'll be re-adding them to my next one) they are gorgeous- something to play with, pretty good nutritionally and assist in keeping the tank clean :). One thing I'd suggest is establishing a separate shrimp tank- that way you've got a population on hand and even if your axies get all the ones in your main tank, you won't have to start from scratch again :D
Thats awesome, but how exactly would i go about setting up a shrimp tank? Just fill halfway with water and put them in? and what do they eat?

Minniechild

Reaction score
I filled mine all the way, sponge filter, light and some Java Moss. Water changes frequently as shrimp are more susceptible to ammonia spikes than axies. Every few days I feed them some (thawed) frozen peas, and they've flourished :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!