Question: Mites on Cynops ensicauda popei

jasper408

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jasper
Hi everyone. I just noticed that there was a moving dot on some of my terrestrial popei. On closer inspection, there was maybe three in differing sizes on one of my newts. It does not jump, outruling springtails. I have checked my fruit fly cultures; they are mite free. I am also using a paper towel substrate changed every other day and cork bark that had been wet and microwaved. Attached are two pictures of one the largest mite on the orange of a tail (the other dots are the gold spots). Are they perhaps the parasitic variety(I have seen a few on arms and toes as well, but they are not afraid to move...), or should I be worried about them? Also, how would I go about getting rid of them, if either is true? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 445
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 546
A couple of mites is not something i would worry about. They are probably just feeding on newt feces and hiding in the cork bark. I see no reason to think they could be any parasitic species.
If it bothers you, just change the substrate once again, boil the cork and give the newts a bath. Hopefully that will get rid of the mites, at least temporarily. Mites are bloody everywhere anyway....

I agree. I've seen the occasional mite on newts in soil-based setups. The mites crawl and are clearly not attached to the animal. It doesn't seem to harm them.

That is good to hear. I was a little worried because I am not using soil, and there seem to be absolutely zero mites on the driftwood. If they were parasitic how would they differ?

I´m not overly familiar with mites as a group, but the species that i know of that parasitize caudates, burrow under the skin, which is clearly not the case.

The parasitic types tend to localize either to the toes, or the armpits, and they tend to hang on.

Thanks for the replies. That's reassuring. I have never had mites before, even when using a soil substrate, so I was a little worried.

Oh, you did, you just didn´t notice them xDD
Most species are detritivorous and are actually rather benefitial to have around as part of the community of invertebrates that processes matter in terrariums and even in aquariums too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back