Some good cheap amphibians to put in my vivarium?

iamtheguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I was wondering what newt/salamders or other cool amphibians I could put in my 20 gallon shorline vivarium setup. It has lots of plants and gravel. I want an amphibian that's cheap, and mostly does not require any live food. Like they would be able to take pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms etc. I dont know any amphibian among those lines but any help would be really nice :) I already tried fire belly newts, I did lots of research and work and they are not very good because i bought them at a pet store :D and I am trying to help/work on them so any other suggestions? I dont need one to handle just to watch thanks for all the help

I dont know of any amphibians that only should eat those live is always best. And if by other you mean you already have animals in your tank you should not add others because the toxins for one amphibians skin could be harmful to another species and aggression level and size differences and other stuff along those lines :)

I wasnt planning on putting the two together, I was just wondering what kind of amphibian...

:)

oh well that's good! unfortunately i cant provide any other insight towards this sorry! good luck though :D

I think you should firstly focus on your fire bellied newts and get them feeding and healthy before you start on anything else.

Also I think you should consider 'what amphibians am I capable of caring for' rather than 'what are cheap amphibians to put in my vivarium'.

All of that aside I think you should look at easy-to-keep starter species that you can easily research and find lots of information for, and are often reasonably priced. Species such as oriental fire-bellied toads (Bombina orientalis), warty newts (Paramesotriton sp) and paddle-tailed newts (Pachytriton sp) are all considered good starter species. Alternatively you may want to try an axolotl as there is more than enough information and help available on this site. However, may I recommend you acquire these species from breeders on this forum or from other captive bred sources as clearly your local pet shop are not capable of keeping newts very well, as you have recently found out. Alternatively find a reputable exotics pet shop with healthy looking stock.

In all honesty I would focus on maintaining the fire bellies first as you will learn so much from keeping them that you can put into practice on another species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back