Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Gill either shrinking or bitten off

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
I have two axies and one is quite a lot larger than the other. The smaller one seems to get bullied by it. It has a small bit missing at the end of its tail and has lost a hand to the other before as well (now grown back). Today I have noticed the middle Gill on the left of the axies head is really short. I don't know if it's been bitten off or if it's shrinking. If it was shrinking would all of them do it? Just worried about metamorphosise but the axie seems happy.
I've separated them both before and they stopped eating so unsure whether to leave them together. They are only around 5 inches long as in a 4.5foot tank so plenty of room.

Will try upload a pic of the injured axie now.

Thanks in advance

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
2012-07-31192107.jpg

wandering

Reaction score
Hi,
You seem to know the answer already! Afraid I don't have direct experience so you don't need to hear from me! But...... you said one was bigger and the smaller one is being bullied and has been bitten. Which is apparently normal behaviour for axolotls.
You don't want to separate them so perhaps you could put more stuff in the tank so the little one can hide or at least not always be in sight. Plants, twigs and rocks are good, and just seen a really good hide made from a plastic tub with pebbles siliconed on it. And maybe more shady places for them both to hide if they want. (I do this for my fish and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; yet to get my first axie....)
One other thing I have come across in reading is that the gills shrink if they don't need them to be big that is, too much oxygen in the water? Although that would affect all the gills presumably, and both axies.
I'm sure someone out there with actual experience will give you a response in a day or two. Just though you would like to know that someone has read your post!!

Bdyoung

Reaction score
It was bitten off. Axies heal quickly so it's hard to see any bite marks unless you saw it in the act. I'm 99.9% it's not metamorphosizing you'd notice a ton of other changes if that was occurring. If that's the only real damage and the axies don't tend to be aggressive at all I wouldn't worry about separating them. If you notice more snapping separate them. They probably didn't eat because of the stress of the move. I wouldn't worry about an axie not eating until they haven't eaten for a week or longer.

Lincolnsmommy

Reaction score
Thanks both. My main concern was that it was the middle gill that got bitten off as they are so close together so thought two gills would have been effected. Glad the gill will grow back, i know limbs can but was unsure with gills.

They have lots of hidy spots but the small one is very friendly and follows me around if im near the tank, its the large axie that likes her privacy. If i have another incident with the small one loosing any more limbs etc i will seperate them.

Thanks for your help both. Has put my mind at rest that it is not metamorphosise.

(wandering good luck when you decide to get your first axie. They are great)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!