Question: What plants for axolotls?

cashsand

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sandy
Hi,
I was wondering what kind of plants would be good for my axolotls tank. Also, where would be a good place to buy these plants or does anyone on here sell them? Thanks for the help!! :happy:

Amazon sword, java moss, java fern, water wisteria (works well as a floating plant), marimo moss balls - these are plants I have used in my own tanks and are mostly easily available in Petco.

Don't buy the so called "Aquatic" plants inside the plastic tubes in the aisles - employees love to suggest them. They often rot once in your tank.

A big tip - unless the store is selling them inside an aquarium or water setting, they are not really aquatic! There is one that sneaks by - - it is a green leaf with white streaks, they shove it into the substrate but after a couple months it will rot.

Thanks! I was wondering about those plants in tubes. I know when I had fish and I got some from them they died like 2 months after I got them.

I've had a lot of success with eel grass, foxtail and duck weed.

Thanks! I'm really excited to buy some plants and start setting up my tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back