Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air bubbles

AaronLN

Reaction score
So today my Axolotl has finally settled in as today he be walking and swimming round like a maniac wish is so nice to see as at first i thought maybe he was weak and ill but iv one question ? he loves the bubbles coming from the air filter and loves to swim into them let them take him up and swims off he does it about 5 times at a time is this normal ? does anyone eles do it ?? it so fun to watch makes me feel like a proud father haha

xxianxx

Reaction score
That behavior is pretty common and nothing to worry about, nice to have an active axolotl to be honest, lots of them just hang about doing nothing. However excessive activity can be a sign off poor water quality , so just to be on the safe side what are your ammonia etc readings ?

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Axolotls have a tendencancy to play with bubbles when they're younger and as they're older they become less and less active.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1