dansmrcookie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Display Name
Dans
Hello Everybody!

I have a simple question.
Axolotls like to stay in a place totally dark?

Some days when I going sleep, I turn off the light of the tank, but I can turn on just the blue light, and change the direction, so the tank be a little light.

What is better?

In my opinion, a tank light isn't necessary unless you're using it to take a photo of your setup/axolotl. You shouldn't need a light for plants either because there are plants available that don't require much light at all. My tank is in a room that has a fair amount of natural light however it isn't in direct light so this is perfect for them. Also, If the ceiling light is on during the night time it isn't bright enough to startle them and it has a dimming option so again there is never too much light affecting them.

Hello Jessicane :)

I turn on the lights few hours per day. In my room have a little natural light too.

But I think during the night, 100% dark can be bad if them dont see nothing right?
Axols are active during the day and during the night I believe.

Don't forget the axolotls don't just rely on their eyes to navigate their environment- They use their lateral line to detect things around them, their sense of touch and their sense of smell :)
I've been using natural light the past few months, but as I'm going to be planting like crazy in my new tank, I'll be adding in some lights hooked up to a solar panel on the roof. Additionally, I've got the problem that the light in my room is bright, but I was able to teach them that when the light came on, it meant there was food coming, and within a few weeks the freakout was greatly reduced (positive reinforcement FTW!!).

But I think during the night, 100% dark can be bad if them dont see nothing right? Axols are active during the day and during the night I believe.

My lounge room is in complete darkness throughout the night and even in the morning before anyone wakes up so my axolotl's are kept in a pitch black room for approximately 9 - 10 hours. As Minniechild said, they do have other senses to detect things so I think that my two are perfectly fine. Also keep in mind that they don't have eyelids and that is why they're better off with less light.

My Axolotls are very active during the day in a room with a lot of natural light and on an evening I use a blue strip of led's across the tank lid with black electricians tape blocking off every other block of 5 bulbs and they have plenty of hiding/cover areas. They are (unusually?) equally as active during the day & night!

Thank for all replies!!

I was really concerned. But how you said, they use others forms to walking around.

My axies swim a lot when I turn on the light of the room, maybe they are associate with "time to eat" lol

I really dont know.
I made one video yesterday about 7 minutes and the three was swimming a lot (lovely *-*), but not upload yet.

this one I made yesterday too. this my new axie
Axolotl swimming - YouTube

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back