Axolotl in bad condition and tail floating

idusia1987

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.I am a happy owner of two Axies.I had my first one for a month now and second is with me from today.My new Golden Albino Axie was kept with other axies in 23 degrees.They were biting each other.He is really skinny and gills are looking really poor.Can you tell me what will help him to recover and put weight quicker?

now..My older Axolotl had 2 earthworms yesterday for the first time.After that he had a poo 4 times and his tail is kind of floating and gills are turning forward as well...I mean Axie is standing on sand but tail only goes up.Please help I dont know what to do..he was doing great until today.shall I put him in the fridge?Could overfeeding be the problem?This is picture of what happens with his tail and picture of that poor, new Golden Axie.

Attachments

• DSCF0179 m.jpg
    DSCF0179 m.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 701
  • aksik2.jpg
    aksik2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,271
Hello, I can advise on the golden axolotl firstly. In order for him to recover he needs a good environment. As long as your tank has good water quality and you are feeding him a good diet then he should recover well on his own. If you can get hold of a small tub of waxworms (Usually sold in small black tubs with yellow lids here in UK) then one or two of those every other day or so should help give him an extra boost of energy (be careful though, waxworms are quite fatty so only feed to fatten up this guy or as an occasional treat).

However... if the golden axie has any sort of white fluffyness (it is hard to tell from the photo but it doesn't look like there is) on his gills or legs or tail then you need to do a fridging and saltbath treatment as that is a bacterial or fungal infection. If there is no signs of this then you should not need to salt bath him. But his skin will be vulnerable from the wounds so keep an eye out for this.

As for the other axolotl I am not 100% sure. I would guess constipation but then again you sad he has pooped? I'll leave that one to someone else.

Neither of your axolotls seem to be in too serious of a condition. The wild just seems constipated. One of my axolotls was constipated but would still poop with a floated tail and the other one just looks like it needs to heal. I would say they both just need time and they will heal on their own.

I would just be careful about feeding them too many wax worms over a period of time because I believe that they have an indigestible shell. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back