Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi There ^__^ from Syd, Australia.

RedJesta

Reaction score
Hi There.
A month ago we got 3 little Axolotls - Gaga (the dancer), Gizmo (the little, quiet type) and Gunter (crazy crazy gunter). ^__^

We only recently learnt that gravel is no good for them, we had no idea so it has now been removed and they are on the bare glass floor until i purchase some sand for them.
We're loving looking at everyone's pics here and this site has been so helpful in everything we need to know. Alot better then our local petstores..

Gaga is the albino who has just this past week developed some freckles all over her.
Gunter is the little black guy and
Gizmo is the speckled one..

One thing, Our black axolotl Gunter has a little lump on his lip which has developed since we bought him. It doesn't seem to affect him in any way because his appetite hasn't changed or anytrhing else but I wonder what it could be and if its something dangerous for him. In the photo i've posted its on his left side. Would anyone please be able to tell me what it is and if there is anything i could do for him.?
I've treated him for fungus and other parasites but it still remains..
Thankyou for your time. :)
Laura B & BV.

Attachments

• gaga.jpg
    gaga.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 144
  • gunter.jpg
    gunter.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,656
  • gizmo.jpg
    gizmo.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 135

Ignacio

Reaction score
Welcome! I am recently new to these forums too. The question you have about your black axolotl MAY be something it might have been born with. Don't take my word for it 100%, but if you have already done fungicide that would be my guess.

RedJesta

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for your advice on my gunter.
I'll keep my eye on it and hope his lump doesn't get any bigger.:)

Ignacio

Reaction score
No problem, if you start to see funny behavior from that certain axolotl, make another thread about it to let us know the certain situation and see if others may have some ideas on it. :happy:

Hunter92

Reaction score
hey i think all your axolotls are so cute:) i got my 2 axolotls a month ago 4 dais after i got them they had babies lol now i have 100 of them it is amazing watching them grow..

RedJesta

Reaction score
Hey Hunter :)
Thankyou. ^__^ That must have been amazing seeing babies so soon after buyuing your first couple of axolotls. I wish that could have happened to me.. You should post some pics of them. n_n

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1