Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to tempt rough skins to new foods

rivkah

Reaction score
Hi,

A couple of months ago I got 3 rough skins and initially was concerned that they were not eating. I tried tempting them with everything I could think of: mealworms, wax worms, blood worms, crickets, fruit flyies, frog bites, etc.

Now they are feeding very well on frozen blood worms, however, I can't seem to get them interested in any other food stuffs.

Any suggestions are to get them to eat a varied diet?

Thank you

VoodooJackal

Reaction score
Mine were eating small earthworms until I switched them over to frozen bloodworms

rivkah

Reaction score
Can they stay on frozen bloodworms only? Somehow bloodworms just dont seem significant enough to keep them. Admittedly, I feed very well (at least a 2"x3"hunk) every other day.

I also keep red efts. They are going great on fruit flies. But I also will feed them the larva of those fruit flies which they seem to like more than the mature flies, and occassionally feed them chopped up wax worms and small pill bugs. all in an effort to make sure that they get a "balanced" diet.

I kept rough skins 30 years ago, and I remember that they ate not only the frozen bloodworms, but also almost everything else that I offered, including reptomin. These just seem more picky eaters.

Thank you for your input.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1