Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Female axolotl rarely seen eating - Should I be worried?

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Hi All,

I rehomed 2 adult axolotls (one male, one female) roughly a month ago and I have rarely seen the female eat. The male eats incredibly well and I try to vary their diet (currently on bloodworm, brine shrimp and pellets). They were fed purely on bloodworm by their previous owner, but being as a have 3 juveniles to care for also, I have to "share" the food.

As far as I'm aware she looks perfectly healthy, but I've only seen her eat once or twice since I took them on. Is she rejecting food or could I just be missing her eating?

Many thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try some different food. Adult axolotls are too big to find brine shrimp interesting, And bloodworms and pellets don't have that "wiggle" factor. Earthworms are an ideal food. In fact, I switch my juveniles to earthworms as soon as they can handle small chunks.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie! Why is it the male eats everything though and she won't touch the stuff? Could she just be a fussy eater?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Some axolotls are gluttons and will eat anything that comes in front of their face (food or not), while others have more discerning palates.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Update:

I finally got her to eat today by accidentey dropping some pellets in the tank! I've also found a supplier of earthworms near me and should be collecting them over the weekend so I'm a happy bunny :) Thanks for all your advise Kaysie! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!