Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Size

Dylan c

Reaction score
I was wondering how many Axolotls could I put in a long 20 gallon tank

Minniechild

Reaction score
Having done 3 axies in a small tank (Thanks to the Aussie summer), I'd say for the size you've got two would be best, or you're going to have to work VERY hard to keep the filtration system working, the tank clean and the water parameters optimal. If you want to go to three, get HEAPS of plants, lots of hides (PVC pipe works excellently), and be very strict about how you're feeding them to avoid "I'm feeling hungry, and you look taaaasty, You're right beside me, I'll nom you maybe" incidents (Which can happen at any size tank- My first bitten limb was in a not-overcrowded 4 ft tank AFTER their sojurn in the small tank...).
Now, I'm definitely NOT saying don't go three, but be aware of the risks and what you're going to have to do to make it the best living environment for your babies :) Also, you could upgrade your tank again...:D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And if you are new to axolotl keeping or aquariums in general, it would be highly advisable to start with just the one.
Personally, i´m of the opinion that a 20 gallon is only adequate for a single axolotl, but even if you decide to have two in the future, starting with one and getting the hang of it is the best option by far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1