Axie lost leg now v. ill pls help

michellerich

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi, our axolotl is 4-5 months old it has had his leg bitten which eventually fell off but now its off he's very ill. After reading a few things on here we fridged him but 2 days in and he's still the same he's lay motionless in the fridge on his side and slightly curled up at first I thought he had passed but when I touched him gently he made a slight move. I've just had a quick look at his leg and it looks like there is a tiny bit of blood and it also looks like a bit of clear jelly on his stump. Is this infected? I will get a pic up soon, just really worried as he is quite thin as well. If anyone can advise if we're doing the right thing and is there anything else we can do. thanks.

Michelle and Rich

We need to know what kind of conditions he's in. Water temps/parameters, substrate, other tankmates, filters used, etc.
Pics are much needed here.

Hi, temp 20, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20. sand substrate. Another leucistic axie for a tankmate. Fluvel 206 ext filter. Live plants, bogwood big smooth rock and coconut for decor and hides. We hand feed them both a mixture of live and frozen foods, bloodworm, brineshrimp, prawns and black mosquito larvae. Even though both are fed daily penelope is bigger than spyro by about a half inch and they were the same size when we had them.

Attachments

• 20120811_153432[1].jpg
    20120811_153432[1].jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,217
  • 20120811_153249[1].jpg
    20120811_153249[1].jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,479
Do we need to put him in a salt bath? He didn't eat again last night, and when i changed him over to his fresh water he hardly moved. Any advice appreciated as i'm worried he may not make it. Thanks

unfortunately Spyro didn't make it I checked him today and he's not moving at all.:sad:

Michelle, was Spyro always curved like that? Or was that a new development?

hi, no he only went like that after he fell ill. Why, is that a sign of anything?

If he had always been curved, it could have been congenital.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers for you. Usually having a leg bitten off isn't that traumatic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back