Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: A pack of cigarettes fell in the tank with my beloved axolotl

jackiedj420

Reaction score
My beautiful axolotl, ganjie, is 5 months old and has been very healthy. I lost a pack of cigarettes 2 days ago and found them in his tank when I went to change it. The water is a yellow color and he wasn't really moving around, just sitting at the bottom with his mouth wide open. I immediately got him into a clean bucket of water and he seems better. He's even hungry so I fed him his favorite, nightcrawlers. Do you think he'll be okay? Is there anything else I should do? I can't stand the thought of losing him as he is my best bud. Any advice?
:(

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Well I can't tell you whether or not he'll be okay because I've never heard of something like that happening. Keep him in the bucket and change the water daily while the tank clears up. What kind of filter do you have? Carbon media is good at removing chemicals/medicines etc so perhaps it will work the same way in removing anything toxic in the water and should help to clear the yellow as well.

tusken raider

Reaction score
WOW.....

I would say remove all water and start your cycle again, clean all ornaments and substrate. Going to have a lot of trace toxins and poisons.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!