Question: Do fire belly newts make noise?

erosinelysium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I could have sworn I heard my fire belly make a strange (but cute) chirp like noise. Was it him? Or is there something else in my flat? O_O

Sent from my GT-I9300

The only noise they ever make is a squeak when they gulp air or they are accidentally bitten by another newt and release air as a result. The chirping must have come from somewhere else.

Well that's a bugger. It sounded so soothing, I thought I had a musical newt. Thanks for the info :)

Sent from my GT-I9300

Do you use crickets as livefood?

Nope. Mealworms, that's all he will eat.

Sent from the town of Waterlooville

My tiger salamander sometimes squeaks when he attacks a roach, but that's about it.

Mealworms are not a suitable food for H.orientalis, specially if it´s the only food.
Try earthworms and waxworms, those are the most likely to get its attention.

Did go to a shop that trades in firebellys, and said if he ate nothing else to feed him what he does eat. In this case mealworms. I will give then wax and earthworms a go though.

Is it like a click sound that they make from their mouth?
Because my newt makes that sound is that okay?

Squeaking or clicking is usually just air escaping from the lungs when they lunge at prey, or break the surface of the water for air. It's uncommon, but not unheard of.

A few of my species will let out a squeak if I startle them. I just upset one of my opacum and heard it squeak ;)

I occasionally hear a tiny click from my juvenile orientalis when he opens his mouth

I presume that's what he did then, I got a say though, it sounded kind of soothing. Weird haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back