FYI: Aussies-Throw the book at them!!!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caitie
Without the rant- If you see an axolotl on gravel, without hides or with goldfish this document outlines the standards that pet shops must follow, and specifically states that :

5.1.1.5 Animals must be able to withdraw, where appropriate, to a quiet, dark and
well ventilated area within their enclosure to allow them to take sleep
breaks.
5.1.1.6 Animal enclosures must be maintained to minimise the risk of injury to
animals.

7.1.1.1 Animals must be protected from distress or injury caused by other animals.
7.1.1.3 Different species must not be housed in the same animal enclosure, except
for compatible species of birds; compatible species of fish, or compatible
rabbits and guinea pigs where the minimum cage size conforms to the
minimum requirements for rabbits.

Additionally, both owners and pet shops need to know that:

10.1.7 If an animal dies or is euthanased as a result of a disease that is traceable
to the point of sale
and is verified by an appropriate authority such as a
veterinarian, the person in charge will refund the purchase price or offer a
replacement animal with the same guarantee.
10.1.8 No animal suspected of being sick, injured or diseased may be sold under
any circumstances.

I'm posting this because I am SICK of walking into pet shops and seeing my favorite animals in danger, and then being ignored or ridiculed when I point out what they're doing to the animals they are selling, and the emotional turmoil they are inflicting on their customers who are coming to them in good faith for a new companion. Hopefully one day this post won't be necessary any longer. I know it can't come soon enough.

Part of me gets annoyed that axolotls are difficult to come by here in the us... and that it feels like you have to jump through hoops to get one!

But at the same time, I can only imagine that if they were in pet shops here, they'd end up in the same situation.

Not just that, but since it takes a lot of effort to get an axolotl, people are more likely to do their research and will provide them a proper home.

UPDATE!!
These are the codes for the other Australian states:
Victoria:
Operation of Pet Shops - Department of Primary Industries

Queensland:
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/document...areAndEthics/QldCodeOfPracticeForPetShops.pdf

Northern Terrirtory:
http://www.animalwelfare.nt.gov.au/...e/0008/76571/Guidelines_Retail_Pet_Shops2.pdf

Australian Capital Territory:
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/a...468/Sales_Code_Frequently_Asked_Questions.pdf

Western Australia:
Commerce - Consumer Protection - Better Trading Newsletter

South Australia:
So far I have yet to be able to track down their code, so if someone is able to find it, please post it!

Making a complaint:

1. Verbal- Point out the problem to the manager on duty, and request that they fix this issue immediately. State your own experience with axolots. If you can, TAKE PICTURES (Or get a friend to go in and take them for you), and make sure you have geotagging enabled if your phone/camera is capable of it.

2. Written- If you don't see an improvement after 48 hours, write a "formal letter of complaint" (include those exact words, date it) , reference Caudata's care sheets, both the axolotl.org site and caudata culture. Where possible, include images of cases of impaction from the site and note where exactly you got the image from (the massive stone in the belly is perfect for this purpose, though if a vet on here could please take an x-ray the next time they get a gravel-impacted axie in, please?), and state your own experience with axolotls. This needs to be sent to both the store's General Manager, the chain Manager (if the store is franchised), and the animal welfare officer of the store.
TAKE MORE PICTURES- At this point, getting a friend to take the pictures is probably wise for your own safety.

After this point, it is best for your own safety to have someone else enter the store's premises.

3. Official- If the store still fails to comply with adequate care, you need to include the date you first alerted the pet shop to the problem, when you sent your letter, a copy of that letter attached, and an outline of the maltreatment experienced by the axolotl/s. Get more pictures, and attach them, ensuring you date them.
This needs to be sent both in hard copy and digitally to:
Department of Primary Industries (or state body).
RSPCA State office (You should also call them, and alert them you are sending through a formal letter as well, and email where possible).
Chain General Manager
Store general manager.
and yourself.

Hopefully this will make the process a bit easier for anyone who finds themselves in a situation where a complaint is necessary.

I've seen a few threads on what to do in the face of a poorly cared for axolotl. So i thought I's bump up this thread, there's a heap of great info in here to help us save the axies

Ive just seen an ad on the Gumtree site for axolotl and tank with gravel being sold as a package deal.

I have written to the store owner to express concern and make them aware about impaction problems, but am very disappointed that they are selling such a package deal.

I wonder how the axolotls they are selling will cope with the 39 degree celsius day next sunday:violent:

I just came across a reasonable infomation page for schools in south australia about axolotls https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&..._SbXkP&sig=AHIEtbTo6PZV4taDx10I9yKWHIQMgVm74Q

Fingers crossed they get (And absorb!!) the info...Humans really do make me despise them, and yet I still hold out hope that one day they may actually get their act together...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back