Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wolf Spider :)

KingCam

Reaction score
So this is a wold spider of some sort I found in my wood pile out back. She loves freshly molted roaches. Here are a couple of photos I took today at lunch!

spidey081412_1.jpg

spidey081412_2.jpg

KingCam

Reaction score
Very easy to care for! Spiders and scorpions are the easiest pets in human history.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

DeCypher

Reaction score
Very easy to care for! Spiders and scorpions are the easiest pets in human history.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Agreed. I had a tarantula when I was younger. That thing was so easy. Make sure the sponge is wet and give him crickets once a week, clean out webs and whatnot once a month. That's it.
Scorpions are pretty much the same thing, though less cleaning is needed for them.

AngieD

Reaction score
Tarantulas are pretty easy, but don't drop them - they generally don't survive falls.

I have 2 Imperial Scorpions (Moldarach & Zoidberg). They are entertaining to keep, and very simple to look after. But if you need to transfer them to another enclosure for cleaning, use a long pair of tweezers, because they WILL try to reach over and pinch you :)

KoleyLarie

Reaction score
Agreed. I had a tarantula when I was younger. That thing was so easy. Make sure the sponge is wet and give him crickets once a week, clean out webs and whatnot once a month. That's it.
Scorpions are pretty much the same thing, though less cleaning is needed for them.

I just had to jump in real quick as arachnids are a bit of a passion of mine. Sponges and paper towels are actually frowned apon as a source to receive water because they can breed bacteria that can be harmful to the tarantula. A shallow clean water dish works best. Also as long as there is no mold growth there is no reason to fully clean their enclouser just remove any bolus that they may leave behind. Their webbing acts as an important part of their habitat and removing it can cause stress to the animal.

Depending on the speices they can be very low maintenance pets. Grammostolas make some of the best low maintenance beginner Ts.

AngieD

Reaction score
With regard to scorpions:

An untippable dish (exo terra ones are great) of bug gel is a good water source for them, but they do tend to kick soil into it, so be prepared to knock soil out of it from time to time.
Provide hides for them to make them feel more secure, even though they like to burrow.
Make sure their tank has high enogh sides, they can reach up most of their body length, and give them enough soil to dig down.

If you want to know more, just ask! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1