Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why It's Important to Do Your Research...

Shygirl

Reaction score
Found this at my local pet store. Although it says it's an axolotl I don't believe it is. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good picture as he was in a corner. Will try when I go back. Thought it was an important lesson though as to why we need to thoroughly research before we buy.

Attachments

• Pickering-20120813-00511.jpg
    Pickering-20120813-00511.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 388

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is it made of solid gold or what?! That's an outrageous price for an axie.

esn

Reaction score
I would go into that store and shove some axolotl literature into their faces. It will be an extremely bad thing if you allow them to sell that animal without giving them a good talking to about it. I would make it a big show in front of a lot of customers and threaten to report them for animal abuse, while waving around some actual information (printed off from caudata or axolotl.org) on reasons why everything on that is false and ridiculous. Make sure to ask for the manager. The employees won't do a thing. If you go in while it's crowded, they'll be very embarrassed and will likely lose some customers if they don't offer to fix it immediately. I would stand and wait for them to adjust the requirements and the actual tank setup in front of you.

But, that's just me. I somehow got my grandmother's penchant for yelling at people to get my way. 99% of the time, it works! Nobody likes to be yelled at or embarrassed, especially when they face a bad reputation and a huge loss of customers and profit. If they don't change it, come back in after their axolotl dies, or after the person who bought it reports its death. Though whoever buys it likely will know nothing about them, and might think it's the same as a fish dying after you put it in a new tank. "Whoops, time to get another one" (which also shouldn't happen with proper care).

This happens a lot for axolotls, but it's nice to be able to be able to try and do something about it. Also, there should be some place in Canada that you can report commercial pet abuse to.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
At that price, it's an axolotl. That's only 2-3 times the retail price here [when you can find them at all]. Canadian prices tend to be higher on EVERYTHING, and salamanders for the most part are not readily available.

If it were a mudpuppy, the advice would actually be WORSE, although the price would be much lower for what is likely a local species.

esn

Reaction score
I'm wondering if that's actually a mislabeled mudpuppy.

If by mudpuppy you mean tiger salamander, then the information is still wrong, and it's still too expensive, and it will still die.

If by mudpuppy you mean Necturus, the information is still wrong, it's still too expensive, and it will still die.

Both of those are found in southern Canada though, so I wouldn't be too surprised. But any way it is, axolotl or mudpuppy or tiger,\, the store is still doing things wrong and knows nothing about the animal they put out to sell.

Shygirl

Reaction score
Ok, so I went back today and he wasn't hiding this time around. What I can tell you is that this is not an Axolotl. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what this is though? Very misleading that they're trying to sell this as one.

Attachments

• Pickering-20120919-00637.jpg
    Pickering-20120919-00637.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 281

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely a mudpuppy, Necturus maculosus. These guys require even cooler water than axolotls.

Still not worth $160.

Shygirl

Reaction score
Yes, thank you :) Also to my understanding they spend their whole lives underwater so the sign would also be incorrect in saying that they need access to land?

Found a fact sheet on the caudata site. Will print it and bring it in. Sadly I'm not sure if it'll do much but I can at least try.

2gsom

Reaction score
good on you for trying to help this little creature. :happy:

mackinthebox

Reaction score
if the tank is heated then maybe you can get them to switch the heater off and at least help a little bit...

emily74

Reaction score
Oh wow! Even not being able to see it that well I could tell it was a mudpuppy! That is sad :( I've seen a lot of misinformation in petstores but never seen something that blatantly wrong. I hope they listen to you! Or at least prompts them to do their own research.

Shygirl

Reaction score
Ok so I spoke with someone at the pet store and they took down the sign with the heat requirements and are going to look into proper lighting. The water hasn't been heated in awhile. He can't take down the Axolotl sign though because his manager says it's been up already for 6-7 months and sees no point in changing it.

Couple questions though for those who are familiar with mudpuppies. Are they legal to sell in Canada?

Lastly he asked me for help because the mudpuppy at least to his knowledge hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. They were feeding him earthworms. Says he does bi weekly 25 percent water changes and the temp when he checked it was 55. I pointed out my concerns about the stones. Some were ok size while others I worried he could accidentally swallow. He didn't look impacted to me but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I didn't ask about the parameters.

He also agrees the price is too high but unfortunately his manager has a habit of marking things up way too high.

Thanks everyone :)

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
I've just been removed from an Axie facebook page for suggesting that people research before they get pets. Someone was putting the poor things in a day old tank with warm water then wondering why his water was slimy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1