Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi all, Axie newbie here...

derryt

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been keeping fish of various types for about 6 years now, but recently saw a lone Axolotl in my local fish shop and instantly feel in love with its weird, cute little pokemon looking face!

As a result, I'm now looking to start an Axie tank, and was wondering if anyone would mind answering a few beginner type questions for me (I've read through the main info sites but can't see the below mentioned specifically anywhere)?

I have a Juwel Rio 125 - dimensions are 81l x 36w x 50h cm, and I will have an external cannister filter with a spray bar that I will use as the filter.

From what I understand of it, comapred to other fish, Axolotls are more about "floor space", than total overall volume of the tank, as I would have 2916cm of said "floorspace", would I only be able to fit one Axie, or would 2 fit comfortably?

Secondly, in relation to decorations/hides etc, do these fellas like having open areas to wander/swim about in, with places to hide at the ends, or would they prefer to have it like an obstacle course from one end to the other? I just want to be able to set the tank up to maximise his/her happiness that's all!

Finally, given they don't particularly like currents in their habitat, how do they tend to get on with airstones and the like?

Thanks for reading, and no doubt I'll be back with more questions at a later date!

Cheers for now,

Derry

mikeg

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been keeping fish of various types for about 6 years now, but recently saw a lone Axolotl in my local fish shop and instantly feel in love with its weird, cute little pokemon looking face!

As a result, I'm now looking to start an Axie tank, and was wondering if anyone would mind answering a few beginner type questions for me (I've read through the main info sites but can't see the below mentioned specifically anywhere)?

I have a Juwel Rio 125 - dimensions are 81l x 36w x 50h cm, and I will have an external cannister filter with a spray bar that I will use as the filter.

From what I understand of it, comapred to other fish, Axolotls are more about "floor space", than total overall volume of the tank, as I would have 2916cm of said "floorspace", would I only be able to fit one Axie, or would 2 fit comfortably?

Secondly, in relation to decorations/hides etc, do these fellas like having open areas to wander/swim about in, with places to hide at the ends, or would they prefer to have it like an obstacle course from one end to the other? I just want to be able to set the tank up to maximise his/her happiness that's all!

Finally, given they don't particularly like currents in their habitat, how do they tend to get on with airstones and the like?

Thanks for reading, and no doubt I'll be back with more questions at a later date!

Cheers for now,

Derry

first i would say if u are getting an axolotl u need to take time and invest in the proper stuff. for gravel get sand dont go bare tank u will stress them out in the long run because it will hard for them to move, also no rocks for gravel they will eat them and die because it could not pass threw thire body, i lost 2 axololts this way. they like to have atleast one hiding place and live plants. also tank mates many people would say no but i dont have a problem i keep mine with gold fish minnows and guppies, the guppies and minnow didnt bother the axolotl at all the gold fish did at first (maybe 2 days) now they just ignore them. also axolotls come up for air so u dont need a filter, u can if u want tho but get one that made for a little smaller than ur tank actually is to avoid current. yes they do like current i have about 50 gallons of tank space and 2 gallons with decore, my axolotls do swim around the tank once in a while

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That size tank will be big enough for just one axolotl. I have to warn you though, once you get one, you'll want to get more.

Current will stress your axolotls to no end. It's NOT okay to have current in your tank, but an airstone will be fine. Mine used to sit on theirs.

Tank mates are also discouraged. Goldfish are dirty, dirty fish, and will happily nibble on axie gills.

You will need a filter. Most people prefer canister filters, as they're superior filters and cause a lot less current than a waterfall type filter, and don't heat the water like an immersion filter.

mikeg

Reaction score
my gold fish dont bite on my axolotls but they are the fancy tail ones maybe that could be it, but toward them being dirt i see it as u have to clean the tank every week anyways. but then again i am still kinda new to the axolotl world my self i have only had for a few months or so :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Given your lack of experience, with all due respect, please stop handing out dubious advice.

mikeg

Reaction score
just trying to help, and have done alot of research trying to share what i know. did mean to offend anyone :$ :(

derryt

Reaction score
Hi,thanks for the replies.

In relation to my fluval filter it has an adjustable return power lever so presumably as long as the return is not strong enough to create a current then it will be fine?

Many thanks again.

Derry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1