Help with eggs

Kerry M

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
-o-o-o-kerry-o-o-o-
Hello,
I have lots of eggs in my tank. The eggs are all white. I have two axies, one is albino (I think the male) and the other is grey. Anyhow, there are currently about 200 eggs. I am a bit worried that they are all infertile as I have read that only albino females produce white eggs. The grey axie has been very actively dancing around the plants, so I assume that this is the girl. And she is rounder. However the albino does spend some time on the plants too, although he doesn't seem to attach to them in the same way. So I suppose my question is, can you get a whole tank of infertile eggs? I would appreciate any advice. This is my first experience of having eggs in my tank and I need to plan on my next move soon.
Cheers,
Kerry
:eek:

Yes you can get a whole tank of infertile eggs. If you remove them to a seperate tank you will see them develop if they are fertile or grow fungus if they are duds. Remove the fungused ones.

i have just had babies too !!!:D are are abotu a month and a bit they are just growing there legs now. i have removed my eggswith in a couple hours after they were laid, i did this because my other three axolotls started to eat the eggs. i put 200 eggs in 3 ten gallon tanks, i would say keep them alone(one tank each) if u have the room and the tanks. but mine out of 200 i had 135of them have lived i am keeping 15 and selling the rest. when they are in the tank they will looks the same untill a week then they start to look like hamster dropings, at this point remove any eggs that have a white fuzz around them. with in the next week or soo u will see the little guys grow in the eggs ( just no legs) at about week3 they will hatch they are good for feedin for 24 hours then they need to be feed 2 time a day everyday. i feed them microworms for a week and a half an now i am on brine shrimp for 2 and a half weeks, now the legs are growing i am going to slowly switch to bloodworms. have ur axolotls had babies before? if they id and they were fertile chances are so are these

Thanks for your replies.
I have moved the eggs into another container and will keep an eye out for white fuzz. I am not exactly sure what that will look life. At the moment all looks good. I had a good look at the eggs and some look a bit bigger than the others. I am not sure whether that is a coincidence. This sure is a learning experience. I had a good look at the eggs last night and think at least some of them are developing. However, I am very new at this :eek:

This is the first time that the axies have laid eggs. I only just got a second one two weeks ago. I am still confused about their gender. I am pretty certain that the female is olive/grey (not sure exactly what it is...) and the male is albino. But I may be wrong.
Thanks for the info on timing Michael. I think I should just be patient now and wait to see what happens :eek:

if the albino is the mother the eggs will be white . if the blackish grey one is the mother they will be black

and np :happy:

There plenty of axolotls in Australia that are some kind of albino but don't look like your typical white or gold albino. They will surprise and confuse you by laying white eggs. Your grey axolotl certainly sounds like it's acting like an egg laying female and an albino as well. Your eggs should develop normally. Keep us updated as the eggs develop. I've attached a photo of another "albino" female laying eggs.

Regards Neil

Attachments

• Egg laying1.jpg
    Egg laying1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 285
Hi,
I have finally worked out that the female is a copper axolotl and in fact albino. She does have red eyes. So that explains the white eggs. I have about 150 eggs here in the tank and they are developing well. Some have now started to get pigment and I can see some eyes visible. They are twitching every now and again and their gills are more prominent.
I am not trying to hatch brine shrimp so that I can feed the little guys when they hatch. My first batch weren't ready in 24 hours so I will be a bit more patient this time. And I'll get another batch going too. I don't want to run out! I am wondering whether these can be stored once they are hatched. And am also curious whether it is OK to feed the BBS brewers yeast. I have been given this info but don't want to harm the babies.
This is very exciting but I can see that I will be busy soon...
:eek:

Thanks for the pic Neil
The different coloured albinos really did surprise me. I had no idea. My second axie is an albino, I was so excited to get one... But I had one the whole time ;)

I can usually get BBS to hatch with in 12 hours. (I know the package says 24hrs) The only thing I put it the BBS water is Kosher Salt and they seem to hatch just fine. I think if you increase the temperature the shrimp eggs are in, that might help them hatch a little easier. I just use a desk lamp with an old fashion incandescent light in it to warm the water.

Unfortunately the BBS will not survive for long in the fresh cold water that you babies are in, so after they feed for an hour or two their water probably needs to be changed so that the BBS don't sour your water.

Good luck and congrats on your babies!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back