Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axolotl Swims Near Surface (Oxygen/Ammonia)?

Hixl

Reaction score
My axolotl arrived in the mail a few days ago. I had set up the tank a few days beforehand and the water levels tested ok. He seemed to make the transition nicely, however I noticed yesterday night that he was taking the occasional trip to the surface (once every minute or so). I've read that it could be either lack of oxygen or high amounts of ammonia/nitrite. There has also been a heat wave recently (should end in a couple of days) so his tank has been staying near the 75 degree mark.

Today I added a small oxygen pump to help and I began testing the water levels again. Nitrite tested at 0ppm, though ammonia tested at around 1.5. I currently have some water sitting overnight to let the chlorine evaporate so I can do a water change tomorrow morning.

The problem is that, when I checked in on him about 20 minutes ago, he'd float to the top and just stay there, barely moving. I watched him swim for a bit too, but he just kept going back up and staying there (not exactly taking a breath, just floating on the surface). What could be wrong? Is it just the high ammonia levels (which will hopefully be solved with a water change)? Temperature? I'm really worried about him and any reassurance would be appreciated.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
75F is too warm for axolotls. This will stress your little guy out a lot. The tank really should be kept under 70F if at all possible. Try using fans and frozen water bottles.

Ammonia of 1.5ppm is deadly. You need to do at least a 50% water change immediately. Go buy some mineral water from the store. Do not wait until tomorrow.

Also, most chlorinated water is treated with chloramine, not chlorine gas. Chloramine needs to be treated with a dechlorinating agent; it will not evaporate on its own.

The floating is probably a combination of trying to find fresh water and oxygen. Warm water holds less oxygen than cold water does.

Hixl

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I understand that the levels are dangerous and I've done a water change. The temperature has dropped to 73 degrees so far. He seems to be a bit happier, but I'll keep a close eye on him and the ammonia levels.

Hixl

Reaction score
Also, I tried testing for ammonia again with a different kit and it came out as 0.25ppm. The first test may have been faulty. Again, thanks.

jasper408

Reaction score
Well, you did just do a water change.... Unless it was the same water then a lower value is to be expected.

Glad he's better though!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that liquid reagent kits are far superior to dip stick or dry tab type tests.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!