Question: Intruder

CalumR

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Calum
Any one have any idea what this is? Found it in my daphnia breeding bucket.

uploadfromtaptalk1345207636074.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Here is another pick, think its some sort of geko, it could hold on to my finger even upside down.

uploadfromtaptalk1345208103724.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1345208122063.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

It is NOT a gecko... it is a newt... and by the looks of it a smooth newt Lissotriton vulgaris

Let me give you a quick lesson in identifying newts and lizards of the UK.

Firstly there are no wild 'geckos' in the UK. We have 2 native species of legged lizard (common and sand lizards), both of which have scaly skin and would be much too fast for you to hold like that, and would probably have drowned in a bucket they could not climb out of. They are very uncommonly found in water and are more likely to be seen basking on rocks. We do have a 3rd lizard species but this is the slow worm and has no legs and looks much more like a snake than a lizard.

Newts have skin similar to frogs, i.e. without scales. They are semi-aquatic species commonly found in ponds and (when out of water) in grassland and garden habitats. They are good climbers and can climb vertical glass surfaces when damp. There are 3 native newt species, two of which look similar to this one (the smooth and palmate newts), and another which is 2 or 3 times the size and is jet black with white 'warts' (the warty or great crested newt). These animals are sluggish walkers and a relatively quick swimmers. They do not like to bask in the sun.

May I suggest you let this guy loose in a cool damp area of your garden late at night when the sun is low or down, or at the very least move the bucket into the shade and let him climb out on his own. If the water heats too much in the sun the newt is at risk of death if it cannot climb out fast enough.

He has probably been munching happily on your daphnia.

Hope you found this useful and can now be somewhat confident in identifying native newts in future.

Good to hear, he probably came from there in the first instance. Hope he didn't eat too many of your daphnia!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back