Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I can't get my axie to eat

Joce

Reaction score
I received my first Axolotl Zelda a couple of days ago and since getting her home she hasn't eaten anything. I've tried dropping pellets (what her old owners would feed her) in front of her, holding them in front of her and holding earthworms in front of her all without success. Ammonia and pH all are OK and water temperature is 16-18 degrees C.
Is there any other way to try and feed her which might prove more successful? Also, she seems to have an obsession with the corners of her tank, just will keep moving her head up and down them all. Could she be looking for food here because she's hungry?

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Give her time to settle in to her new home. Both of mine were skittish for about a week because I can only imagine how stressful it would be moving from one 'home' to another. Try again in a few days and I'm sure she'll be a bit more willing to eat ;)

mshine1217

Reaction score
I waited a couple of days after receiving my little juvies before I tried feeding them the first time. I'm feeding them frozen bloodworms, thawing them in a little water from their tank in a measuring cup that has a handle on it. When they sink to the bottom I carefully lower the cup to a pyrex dish that I keep in the tank. At first they were a little shy about it, but it didn't take long for them to become familiar with the routine and start nibbling my fingers if I'm not moving fast enough, lol.

Be patient, he'll settle into his new home in no time.

Joce

Reaction score
YAY! She ate a whole earthworm today :D Thankyou for your responses it really helped me feel better about the situation. Hopefully all goes well from now on

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1