I'm a new member and new axie owner... I need help!!!

TortFreak

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I recently adopted an axie who was kept under horrible conditions in almost no water. 1inch to be accurate, a friend of mine rescued it and after rehebing it for three months it has gained weight and doubled it's size. But as a result of the former care the gills shrunk and after three months of rehabing have only started to grow back. I've seen other axies with their beautiful feathery gills and feel sorry for my little axie who is always going up for air and floats on the surface. Maybe it's normal behavior but I don't know. I was told the first owner was trying to force it to morph. What can I do to help my axie and make sure it has a good quality of life.

10shj6f.jpg

auv86o.jpg

dh94xf.jpg

your little guy looks alot happier then what he would have heen. you have to be passent for his gills to grow back, make sure he's happy and healthy and he'll be just fine.

keep us posted on your little buddies recovary:D

If you want to know how to have a happy, health axolotl, and how long it will take to rehabilitate, etc, I suggest you take some time to read through the axolotl care, health and general discussion topic areas. There is lots of info about axolotl care and signs of illness to look out for. Plenty of people have rescued axies just like you have so there is plenty of information to help you get started.

Good luck :D

Yes he/she is doing fine right now. I still don't know that much about some of the basics. Like:

if I don't use a filter, how often to change the water? specially since little Mac doesn't eat the food if it falls to the floor.

I read the axolotl filter section and still don't understand if I should at least aerate the water to help my axie to have more oxigen in the water so it could be better

you dont need a filter if u are worried about the oxygen just get a small bubbler but not needed they come up for air , id clean the tank once a week atleast to clean poo and keep things fresh

Ok, I got a sponge filter just because his water gets to dirty too quick. So I hope it cycles the excess waste suspended in the water

You'll have to remove uneaten food and poop regularly (like, as soon as you see it) and if you don't have an ammonia test kit, you should be doing ~20% daily water changes.

Any filter takes time to seed with appropriate bacteria, and a sponge filter doesn't really remove waste; it only serves as a surface on which bacteria can grow.

I think your doing well and on the right track to keep it healthy and happy. I would make one suggestion though. It looks as if its hide is see through. If that's the case I would get it a hide that isn't so it can be in a darker area when it wants to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back