Hi from Indonesia

dracos

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hi, Everyone... dracos here :D
I am living in Indonesia, currently have a firebelly newt (for 1 month) and want to have a pair of axolotl in early September.

Problem living in tropical area is, the water temperature is about 26 C at night and 28 C at noon. I already asking in Indonesian forum, that axolotl can live in that kind of water, but will not breed easily. Is there anyone who live in tropical area and having axolotl? I hope get some tips about it :D

I curently have an aquarium with dimension L 80 cm, W 40 cm, H 40 cm. Are the enough for 2 axolotl?

I also trying to breed tubifex worm for newt snack and fish food. I think I gonna give the axolotl some fish (wild guppies), freshwater shrimps, snails (I have a lot in my fish pond) and some earthworm if they already big enough. What do you think?

Hi Dracos, welcome to the site!

I'm sorry, an axolotl cannot survive in 26-28C. They are cold water salamanders. Their optimum temperature range is 16-18C, 19-22C they will be fine, if the temperature reaches 23C though it's time to start enacting measures to cool the tank, as over 24C leads to illness (fungal infections and/or heat stress) and death.

Have a look through this article for tactics on keeping your aquarium cool for the axolotls:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

Using ice bottles is the cheapest way to keep a tank cool, but if done incorrectly, can cause temperature fluctuations that will stress the axolotls. The safe method can be found here

One to two axolotls will be fine in that size tank, but no more than two.

Earthworms are an ideal staple food, as they contain all the nutrition an axolotl needs in one wriggling package. Feeder fish are okay as an occasional snack as long as they have been fully quarantined before being given to the axolotl.

As your tank is on the small side, you will also need to ensure you keep a close eye on the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) while the fish are in the tank with the axolotls. Too much bioload will cause your cycle to crash, and this can make the tank a deadly toxic environment for the axolotls and feeder fish.

If you are looking to expand the menu for your axolotls, have a look through this article which gives you a good rundown on the nutritional value of food items:

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

If you are getting the axolotls in September, perhaps you may wish to cycle the tank before they arrive? You are probably familiar with cycling, but in case you are not, essential information on water quality and cycling can be found in the articles in my signature bar - well worth a read through.

Lots of happy reading before September arrives. ;)

Thanks Jacquire for all the info, this is very helpful.

It's shocking that you all really doing very much to make your caudata living in very hospitable and naturally as possible. This attitude very sobering example.

I will try some avenue to cooling down the tank first. Maybe using combination of methods that already being posted, else I postponed my axolotl purchase.

For the feeder fish, worm and snail, I only gonna put them in axolotl tank in feeding time, because I already have pond for them.

Thanks again for all the help and info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back