Could this be Fungus??

HaveACrouton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
BaconSteak
So one of my Leucistic axolotls has developed black on his gills / face, making a vein type pattern on his gills. I'm not sure if it's worth salt bathing him for or anything, or if it's just genetics turning him darker? He's about 8-10 months old, so still fairly young.

I noticed when I went on holidays I didn't feed them for 4 days, and there was no black on his gills anymore but rather just white-ish. (Keep in mind nothing fluffy or sticking out). They wre like like white scabs and now that I've gotten back into feeding him his regular routine his gillss have gone dark again?

His brother (same type) is starting to develop darkenings around the base of his gills too.

Any ideas or thoughts??

Thanks!!

The first photo is of Apollo, and the second of his brother Aurelius. They are tank mates with a green axolotl, and Apollo's black gills started the way Aurelius' are now.

Attachments

• apollosgills.jpg
    apollosgills.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 291
  • aureliusgills.jpg
    aureliusgills.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 228
Looks like normal pigmentation. Leucistics often develop more pigmentation as they grow older.

Looks like natural darkening to me. I've never seen fungus on an axolotl that wasn't white. I find that many axolotls have a dramatic increase in colouration around the year old mark which would fit in with yours. I would expect your other leucistic to start darkening up as well soon.

Regards Neil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back