Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got Quite a Deal!

Jenste

Reaction score
My husband Steve ran to our local pet store, a Pet Supply plus, to pick up cat food and litter yesterday, and he came back saying that they had a Fluval 405 on clearance for $140. He hadn't bought it because he wasn't sure how good of a deal that was.

I told him it was about $100-120 below normal price, so yes! a good deal. I ran out to buy it (I had been wanting to grab another large filter to seed incase I upgrade my tank).

I was chatting with the sales girl and she told me I was about to be *really* happy. The chain had an additional sale on the filter, so I got ANOTHER $100 off. With tax is came to $49 and change, she told me if I spend $50, I would get another $10 off.
I ran and grabbed a couple items I had forgot I wanted, a larger package of BioBalls, also on clearance and a new cat brush. Grand total was $55!!!

I was floored, I ran home and told my husband - he didn't believe me until I showed him my receipt!

I use the BioBalls inside one or two Fluval compartments (the 405 has 5 - one large down the side sponge and 4 stackable compartments) and will be setting it up on my current 72 gallon 4footer which has a 405 and U3 on it now. I will be moving the U3 to another tank (was seeding it) and putting the second 405 on the 72 gallon. Over filtration is my happy place, I like to stock a little heavy.

The 72 houses 7 Axolotls and a Fantail Goldfish, will have 2xFluval 405 and moderately planted with swords, wisteria, 2 mossballs, and a few water hyacinths with are massive ammonia eaters. Call me happy

Jenste

Reaction score
I have been trying to convince my husband to let me upgrade to a 6 footer.....a big expense for it was going to be filtration. Now that is not a problem! :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just do what I do; move the tank in and pretend it's always been there!

MandiceP

Reaction score
Nice find! I love it when things work out that way! I managed to get a slightly used U3 from my boss who had been running it in our aquatic frog tank (I work at a LPS) and he sold it to me for 25$... since it retails here for over 80$ I was quite happy about that. LOL It works perfectly for my new 33 long. Congrats. I agree that you should just get the 6ft tank and pretend you have no idea how it got there... :wink:

Jenste

Reaction score
Haha as tempting as that is - I *think* he would notice a 6 foot tank in the living room! We are also trying for our first so we will see how that goes - maybe I can get it down the road.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If things go well, say it´s a fancy new baby bathing kit, critical for the correct development of the inmune system or some other bollocks. Then put a little blush on your baby´s thigh and say it gave him/her a rush and can´t be used again...for that purpose that is ;)

PS: This plan may work best if your husband has had a few, although severe baby induced insomnia may do the trick too.

CymriLynne

Reaction score
So jealous of you! I'm trying to convince my housemates to allow a 6 foot tank ( and hoping the huge sale coming up at the LFS will help) but even so there's nothing around here that cheap, the filtration costs more than the tanks because I get the tanks cheap from craigslist.:happy:

Jenste

Reaction score
Azhael that is too funny! Wouldn't work as my hubby doesn't drink alcohol.

Cymri - I was ecstatic!!! I don't really *need* it right now, but I wanted it and I *could* end up needing it and at that price it was better to buy it now then wait and pay 5-6x as much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!