Question: Water conditioners for axies

Zeiphex

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi there, I'm a first time axie mom. I have seven 11 week olds that I've been raising since they were day old hatchlings (I had 9 originally, but the cat got one and one died mysteriously at 4 weeks). I have done extensive research on their care, and so far, so good. However, I have a question: what water conditioners are best for axies? I have read that "slime coat" products aren't great for them, and obviously, something with Iodine in it would be bad too, as Iodine can cause them to metamorphose. As an avid fish keeper for more than ten years, I swear by Seachem Neutral Regulator for my water changes, as it both corrects high or low pH, as well as removes chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals. I have been using that for my axies too, as well as for my African Clawed Frogs. I also add bicarbonate of soda to my axies' water to raise the kH to around 10dkH, as it comes out of the tap at around 2dkH. So far this has worked for me, and the kH and pH seem to stay stable. Does anyone else here use Seachem Neutral Regulator, and is there anything I should know about using it for axies? I don't want to be using something that is great for fish but not so good for axies.

I am unsure what products are available there, but my suggestion is any product that consists of nothing but distilled water with sodium thiosulfate in solution, such as AmQuel+.

I've never seen AmQuel+ here. :c But I will look at ingredients of the ones I do find in the LFS.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back