Feeding Axie Feeder Fish For The First Time, HELP

officerPuckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sidhe
We bought about an inch to an inch and a half long feeder fish for Officer Puckles, and he is having trouble catching them.
Does it just take them a long time to catch them? Or is my axolotl brain damaged?
Also, is that too big for a full size axolotl? He is about 6 inches with his tail.

They quite frankly suck at hunting. They're more of a sit and wait predator, which is why they're liable to get their gills nipped. The problem is that you did not say what type of feeder fish it was and if you've quarantined it for any period of time. Feeders are notoriously filled with parasites. If your axolotl can't catch it, that's probably a good thing. Make sure you quarantine fish.

Axos are just a step up in evolutionary terms from fish. Almost cannibalism! Gasp!

He's caught two of them already, I think he likes to gain their trust before attacking. I don't remember what time they were, just the smallest 13 cent ones at petsmart. They don't seem to be bothering him or nibbling on gills as I thought they would be. My main concern was them being too big and causing choking but since he's gotten 2 down already my concerns are gone

The cheap food is the worst food.
The pet stores are not really making a profit selling these, so they are not going to make the effort to make sure they are healthy.

Unless you quarantine the feeders for a minimum of 30 days prior to feeding them to your axolotl, it is a huge risk you are taking with your axolotls health.

It only takes one sick feeder to infect the whole tank.

And unless you are gut loading the fish prior to feeding them to your axolotl, there is little nutritional gain from taking the risk.

Axos are just a step up in evolutionary terms from fish. Almost cannibalism! Gasp!

Nonsense. No such thing as "just a step up in evolutionary terms from fish". Axolotls are caudates which are tetrapods, and tetrapods (including us) are a subset of sarcopterygian fish. So cladistically speaking, axolotls are fish (as long as by "fish", you mean chordate). Forget the idea of evolutionary ladders, it´s utter nonsense. Man, i don´t mean to be that guy, but they don´t teach evolutionary theory well over there...(if they teach it at all).

A better suggestion, Sidhe, is to establish a separate population of guppies (Slightly less likely to nip than a goldfish and more digestible), or fresh water shrimp (cleaning crew and fun all in one brightly coloured package!) , keep the base members separate for the month to make sure you haven't got any zom-fish/shrombies and then let the Officer loose on their offspring a few at a time :)

Caitie, i think i just contradicted your signature xD

In which case, we're ALL FISH :D :D :D
(Though I'll keep the signature to keep the newbies in the right frame of mind :p)

Yeah, neither axolotls nor us are fish in the colloquial sense of the word "fish", obviously, so it´s useful to point it out to the general public. Then again the colloquial use is biologically nonsensical, but i guess that´s what makes it colloquial xD

Yeah, neither axolotls nor us are fish in the colloquial sense of the word "fish", obviously, so it´s useful to point it out to the general public. Then again the colloquial use is biologically nonsensical, but i guess that´s what makes it colloquial xD

**Time to smile, nod, and pretend to know what any of that means**

Ah, yes, colloquial indeed! Very good point. :)

The intelligent thing to do is skip the fish and feed nightcrawlers for the reasons discussed in detail throught the site and it's sisters.

The search function and links tab will fix you right.

Nonsense. No such thing as "just a step up in evolutionary terms from fish". Axolotls are caudates which are tetrapods, and tetrapods (including us) are a subset of sarcopterygian fish. So cladistically speaking, axolotls are fish (as long as by "fish", you mean chordate). Forget the idea of evolutionary ladders, it´s utter nonsense. Man, i don´t mean to be that guy, but they don´t teach evolutionary theory well over there...(if they teach it at all).

That was a joke. :p

Tiktaalik and acanthostega be praised!

Ah, my bad, i´m too jaded.
Praised be indeed!

Way to distract me! Just Lol'd sooo hard at that!
Also sludge, might suggest that a bit of variety is the spice of life- I most certainly agree that axies shouldn't just get feeder fish (Supersize me, anyone?), but having one of the proven species of fish/shrimp in the tank can provide some good fun for them :) (Like cookies are a "sometimes food" *Does the Sesame Profound Nod)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back