Illness/Sickness: Sick axie - urgent help needed

jduff1109

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dear forum

I am a relatively new axie owner and need help with my little guy (Allegra) who is struggling.

Here is his history:

• He is a male wild type approx. 15 months old (originally thought to be female).
  • He has always been under-sized and skinny (despite daily feeding) since I got him in September 2011.
  • 3 months ago be started developing bumps behind and above his back legs - the bumps behind now appear to be an indication that he is a male. The bumps above his legs are in the exact same spot on both sides - about 5mm above where his leg joins his body. In the last week, he has developed another bump on his abdomen.
  • He has been re-growing his tail after losing it to his tank mate about 6 weeks ago. It has been re-growing really quickly and he has not appeared bothered by it all.
  • 2 days ago, his tail appeared different and I thought he had been attacked again. Yesterday, the skin seemed to be flaking off exposing the re-growing tail underneath (which is currently white and slowing being covered by his dark skin).
  • Yesterday, he stopped eating (this is highly unusual).

His tank mate is perfectly healthy, so I don't think it is a water quality issue.

I need advice about best way to tackle the problem. I have read on the forum that perhaps I should fridge him, but I am concerned given he has always been underweight.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

jduff1109

Pictures would help very much. If this is what I think it is, it is totally normal.
As for the underweight issue. Since 15 months is adult, they really only need to eat 3-4 times a week. I do every other day. The best and most nutritious thing to feed is trout pellets and earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back