Hi everyone! New member here!

Tx1983

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just posting to introduce myself, my name is Nick and I live near Houston, TX.

I've been keeping amphibians (newts and aquatic frogs mostly) since I was about 10 years old. I switched my hobby to saltwater fish many years ago and have several tanks. Recently I decided I'd like to set up a 75 gallon tank I bought as a water/land aquarium or vivarium? Whatever you call em, LOL.

Right now I have just 1 fire belly toad in the whole setup. I'm still adding a lot of stuff, but I'm hoping to find some mostly aquatic newts to inhabit the water portion of the tank. I had wanted to find Crested Newts but from what I can tell, they may be nearly impossible to get.

Anyway, enough about that.

Looks like there's tons of good info on these boards, and I'll definitely have questions in the future! Glad to be here!

You'll have problems finding newts that are compatible with firebelly toads. Almost all salamanders are on the cold side of temperate, and that will be too cold for a toad. If you have it warm enough for the toad, the sals will suffer and eventually die.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the toad in a 20 gallon setup all of his own. I've been reading up for the last couple weeks on exactly how to set up my 75 gallon tank and it's finally completed. I will definitely not be keeping my FB toad with any of my newts!

If you can, get some more firebelly toads in there - a colony in a semi aquatic tank is a real treat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back