URGENT: Found axie on the floor this morning! Don't know what to do.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found my little Momo on the floor this morning. I don't know how long he was out of the tank for, but he was very sticky as I was picking him up.

He responded right away when I put him back in the water, but I don't know how to help him recover.

He's currently sitting on the floor, and comes up occasionally for a gulp of air, and he begs for food if I get too close, but he physically doesn't look too well. His slime coat is sloughing off, he has a ton of debris (lint, dust, hair) stuck to his little body, red spots on his tail and belly, and he's moving his arms very robotically. He's tries to walk around on the floor and doesn't appear to have much coordination.

What should I do? I don't know whether fridging him or not would be ok.The tank temp is currently at 70º F, and the water has lots of tannins in it because of a piece of driftwood I put in there. I figured the tanins would be good for him?

But I need to know if I should fridge him or not, and what other things could be done to help him!

In your case, I would put him in the fridge in some tank water. The cold and the tannins will help prevent infections, and hopefully help him rebuild his slime coat. If you can get your hands on some StressCoat, you might try that too. It contains aloe.

Thanks so much, just got back from class and will do that asap.

It appears that he's having some trouble keeping stable. My bf checked on him while I was on campus and thought he was dead. I asked him to flip him back over just in case and fortunately he wasn't. So I'll keep the water level low.

Should I change his water with water from the tank, to keep him exposed to the tannins?

Also, I don't have any stress coat at the moment, but I can go buy some. At the moment, all I have is Seachem Prime, which claims to provide slime coat. Would this be a good temporary substitute? It looks like he's shedded all his existing slime coat and the debris that was attached to him.

I'm so worried about the little guy. When my bf texted me to say that he thought momo was gone, I did all I could not to cry in class :(

How is it possible it could scape in the first place? Was it a mistake or don´t you have an adequately secure lid?

The tank itself doesn't need a lid. It has a 3" rim that prevents the adults from escaping, and the water level is always an inch below the rim.

But I was keeping Momo in a temporary little box that you can see here, in the top right corner
5C3dNh.jpg

He's too small to be in the tank with the adults, so I keep him in a large tupperware, but I put him in the box if I'm doing a water change or will be gone for a weekend and can't change his water. I left him in the box last night because his water wasn't cool enough yet. I just never considered the fact that it was escapable.

And I feel so STUPID because last night I heard a weird noise and I even considered that maybe one of them got out, but thought "nah, that couldn't have been it".

Please don't make me feel bad... I feel horrible enough as it is. I'll never put him in the box again without a covering.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery. You shouldn't be made to feel bad for sourcing help either. Clearly it was an honest mistake , and one you won't let happen again. Keep us updated :)

Get well soon Momo x

I wouldn't say that water has a lot of tannins in it; it's clear. Water with a lot of tannins is yellow to brown. Regardless, I'd still use tank water as it's going to be a little less harsh on his system than completely fresh water. This is the system I use for raising larvae, as I think it's less 'shocking' to them than tap water.

I've never used SeaChem, and their description on their website doesn't say how it 'promotes slime coat'. I would pass on that. In fact, since it includes an 'ammonia binder', I wouldn't use it as my primary dechlorinator either.

I wouldn't say that water has a lot of tannins in it; it's clear. Water with a lot of tannins is yellow to brown. Regardless, I'd still use tank water as it's going to be a little less harsh on his system than completely fresh water. This is the system I use for raising larvae, as I think it's less 'shocking' to them than tap water.

I've never used SeaChem, and their description on their website doesn't say how it 'promotes slime coat'. I would pass on that. In fact, since it includes an 'ammonia binder', I wouldn't use it as my primary dechlorinator either.

That picture is old, from when I first set up the tank. The water has a strong brown tint to it currently. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Also, I use seachem prime because it's been the most highly recommended dechlorinator on the various aquarium forums I'm a member of. This is the bottle I have http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/images/prime.jpg

But I'll be going to Petsmart tonight to buy Stress Coat for my poor Momo. I have classes until 7:30 today so it's a little difficult :(

Hope your axie gets better quickly. BTW you tank looks really great, should upload pics in your build thread!!

Thanks for the help and support everyone. Momo is still alive. I'm hoping that by this point, he's out of the "danger zone". I'm not zure though.

He's still in the fridge. His skin doesn't look too bad (just red irritation). He's not crossing his front legs funnily anymore. But his gills are incredibly turned forward, and his poor tail is much thinner now.

I'm planing on keeping him in the fridge until his tail improves and his slime coat returns. My poor little guy :/

And thanks, tusken, I should add more pics. The plants have grown like crazy thanks to the soil!

I think he's gone. I checked on him again and he hadn't moved a muscle from when I last saw him. So I took him out and prodded him a little and nothing. I even lifted him out of the water and he didn't move.

I'm stupidly hoping that he's just very cold and if the water warms up he'll come back to life, but I know it won't happen.

I feel like the worst owner ever.

I think he's gone. I checked on him again and he hadn't moved a muscle from when I last saw him. So I took him out and prodded him a little and nothing. I even lifted him out of the water and he didn't move.

I'm stupidly hoping that he's just very cold and if the water warms up he'll come back to life, but I know it won't happen.

I feel like the worst owner ever.

Nothing stupid about trying to be optimistic. I am sorry for your loss, and you're definitely not the worst owner ever. These things happen.

Andrea,
I am so sorry about Momo. You are not a bad owner. You provided a beautiful habitat for them and you took great care with them. Unfortunately stuff happens and when it did you did the right things to help him.

I have 3 beautiful juvies as a result of your husbandry. And even though they are not Momo's offspring, I will think of him every time I deal with Hewey. Lewey & little Dewey.

I'm so sorry about Momo. You are far from a bad owner! You tried you best to save Momo, It's sad that this happened, but sadly sadly stuff happens.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the kind words. I know I'm not a bad owner... I just feel that way.

At least I still have my beautiful adults. I still want a 3rd axolotl, but I think I'll wait a couple of months before trying again.

RIP little momo.

Oh im very sorry to hear.. RIP Momo.. Perhaps it was the shock of the whole ordeal

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back