Question: Newbie with a few questions...help!

Castlegirl01

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I was looking to buy my gf an axolotl for her bday..it's a couple of months away so that gives me time to slowly get everything and was hoping to get some tips or info on the basics from people who have experience with these creatures. Ideally I'd like to purchase a white axolotl with the tank already set up but if I can't get that I may just buy the tank and then purchase hopefully of here separately..not really fussed about the age,a juvenile would probably be best but really anything between 3 months to a year would be cool. I'm not too sure on the growth rate on these guys but I have read some general care sheets and just have a few questions. Since I'm not sure about age,what would be the minimum size requirements for a tank for a juvenile? Would a 45cm tank be ok? Also should I just get an external hang on filter if I do start off with a small tank or would an internal or under gravel filter be better for these guys? I've also read some discussion on hat the best substrate to use is..I'm not sure if I should use gravel or sand?.. I own reptiles myself and I know the dangers of using the wrong substrate because it can lead to them swallowing it and having problems so I def wanna get that right. And lastly are there any specific brands or products I should be using, such as for the ph testing and ammonia? The ph levels should be between 7-7.6 is that right? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I get everything right..any other advice on feeding or any general care or tips would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back