2 Chinese Fire bellys in a 65 litre?

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
pretty much the title, would 2 chinese fire bellied newts be comfortable in a 65 litre? (good filteration)

I think 65 litre is more than adequate for two (thats a 17 gal to our american friends).

Chinese fire bellies are pretty undemanding to be honest. Lots of water (you can fill to couple of inches from the top) and lots of plants and maybe rocks. Sounds good to me.

You don't even need the filtration. regular water changes should be more than suitable once the tank is cycled. If you do decide on filtration go for a sponge filter rather than a powerhead as they don't appreciate the current.

That´s a big tank for two orientalis.
I would recommend considering other species unless the H.orientalis you had in mind come from a breeder. Every single one that you´ll see at shops will be WC and imported from China.

That´s a big tank for two orientalis.
I would recommend considering other species unless the H.orientalis you had in mind come from a breeder. Every single one that you´ll see at shops will be WC and imported from China.
I already have the newts, I've had them in a bigger tank for about 4 years now but I don't really see them much so I was wondering if I could move them into my 65 litre instead. thanks :happy:

Ah, ok. A tank that size would make a luxurious home for a pair of orientalis. If you plant it densely it will require a ridiciously low amount of maintenance so you´ll be able to just sit back and enjoy watching them fill it with larvae.

Make sure there is a lid - I had an alarming (although amusing) incident when I was carrying out tank maintenance of an orientalis climbing out of the jug and along the wall like spiderman

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back