Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Blue axolotls?

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of her. Sorry that they're so close but i used an underwater camera to better show the blue. She didnt like the camera much and swam away.

Attachments

• P8291052.jpg
    P8291052.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4,528
  • P8291055.jpg
    P8291055.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 6,221
  • P8291067.jpg
    P8291067.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,743

Neil C

Reaction score
If those colours are true to life then you have a very unique axolotl. When I first saw the photos I thought they were of a blue spotted salamander. More photos please and it doesn't matter if they are from outside the tank. Where did you obtain this animal?

Regards Neil

Reaction score
The colors are as they seem. I thought i found something unique when i saw her. These photos aren't as close, but you can see how speckled she is. I actually found her by her lonesome at a local shop here in Portland, OR. she was labeled as an axolotl, so I hope she is. I was hoping to breed her with the male I recently purchased.

Attachments

• P8291075.jpg
    P8291075.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 3,106
  • P8291089.jpg
    P8291089.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • P8291082.jpg
    P8291082.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 6,328
Reaction score
Thanks, Cheva.

I've been told that she might be a hybrid between an axolotl and a tiger salamander, and I was wondering if I could get an expert opinion on this?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It looks like a melanoid axolotl with a little abnormal coloration. I've produced a few blotched ones with similar colors but the pattern was not spread out as much. Their is no indication that it would be a cross. People just like to guess cross when they aren't sure what it is.

Reaction score
It looks like a melanoid axolotl with a little abnormal coloration. I've produced a few blotched ones with similar colors but the pattern was not spread out as much. Their is no indication that it would be a cross. People just like to guess cross when they aren't sure what it is.

Thanks for letting me know. I read that cross breeds get scoliosis more often so I was a little worried.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, I've never seen a legitimate axolotl/tiger cross on this forum. I imagine they're more rare than people seem to think.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Very interesting specimen! I'd love to see how its offspring would turn out.
I agree with michael, a special melanoid.

Reaction score
Very interesting specimen! I'd love to see how its offspring would turn out.
I agree with michael, a special melanoid.

At the moment, I'm trying to get my male (wildtype) to an appropriate breeding size. I'm sure if I housed them together she'd eat him. Although, I'm unsure of he is heterozygous for the wildtype trait. Some of his brothers and sisters were melanoid, so I hope he has the gene for it. I will be making a thread about her babies if this thread is too old by then.

AmyD

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like its has UV sensitive paint :3. Mine isn't Blue but has white, gold, bronze and metallic green patches/speckles, it looks almost like he is a bronze figure with patina, but its pretty :). My pictures don't show it unfortunately :/ x

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like its has UV sensitive paint :3. Mine isn't Blue but has white, gold, bronze and metallic green patches/speckles, it looks almost like he is a bronze figure with patina, but its pretty :). My pictures don't show it unfortunately :/ x

That sounds kind of like a piebald. I'd be happy to see it :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1