Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this normal?

cowpachipixi

Reaction score
New to all this~ so bear with me! I came across 3 axies and the female is wild type but has like a yellow beauty mark on her upper lip in the corner~ is this normal?

Attachments

• mym 009.jpg
    mym 009.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 230
  • mym 014.jpg
    mym 014.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 223
  • mym 021.jpg
    mym 021.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 232

esn

Reaction score
That actually looks like my female andersoni. Are you sure it's an axolotl? Where did you obtain this?

With the picture quality I can't tell too well, but it likely is pigmentation. My black wild type has a white patch on her forehead - entirely pigmentation.

Edit:

That for sure looks like an andersoni to me. Look at my avatar on this thread. Similar, no? Exactly the same, yes? Where did you get an andersoni in these times!

Neil C

Reaction score
Even though the colouring in the third photo does look a bit like an A. andersoni I'm going to say that I think it probably is an axolotl.

With regards to the yellow mark I'd be concerned that it appears swollen as well. Definitely keep an eye on it and if appears to be growing then I would suggest a trip to the vets.

Regards Neil

cowpachipixi

Reaction score
What is a andersoni? And I found them by posting a wanted ad on craigslist in my area and a guy wanted to rehome 3 axies. Thanks i will keep a watch out to make sure its not growing.
Ok just googled that- Is there something diff about them compared to axolotls? They look the same i really dont get what the diff is but the name, is there something I should know? I will try to get more pics they are in my 40 gal but was gettin the 55 gal ready for them since its longer and more foot room for them. Once they get situated ill get more better pics of them up- the boys are wild type too but not quite the same color as her.

esn

Reaction score
They're a different species in the ambystoma from a different lake in Mexico. They're rare right now. They're different in personality and have a higher morph rate. I still believe the female in the photos is an andersoni, or at least an andersoni cross. Andersonis are illegal in washington, yet they're being sold as axolotls there. Most people don't know. The face is more like an axolotl than my andersonis, but I would not be surprised by a cross breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1