Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White residue on fb newt

eminem

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my FB newt has a white residue all over his body? I recently bought a fake plant for his tank but the plant made the water sort of slimy so I took it out while cleaning the tank. My newt at the time looked like he had some sort or slime on him but I didn't think anything of it. Today he looks as if he has dried salt all over him? what should I do? i'm not sure if the plant and the white residue have anything in common but guessing they must. thanks in advance

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you took out the plant, did you change the water? If not, do so now. Move the newt temporarily to a secure container with wet paper toweling.

eminem

Reaction score
I changed the water immediately. currently he is in a 3.5 gallon hospital tank with about 4 inches of water a land area and a cup what should I do?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does he still look sick? I was thinking that the residue might be shedding skin, but I don't know.

Maybe change the water again, just to be sure you got rid of whatever was in it. If he is a solo newt (no tankmates) you might as well put him back in his regular tank.

eminem

Reaction score
well he is swimming a round quite normally and eating too i dont think its shedding skin because from what ive seen it usually just looks like black muck coming off them, but i will put him back in his usual tank after i get a chance to do a very through cleaning. the white stuff however is still there, should i just wait for it to wash away or shed away? the only think i was worried about was the fact that it may make skin breathing (forget the name) harder although it doesn't appear to

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
A bit of a long shot here, but could this be part of his breeding colours?

Attachments

• Caudates 013.jpg
    Caudates 013.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 281

eminem

Reaction score
hmm i dont think so i have had him about 9 years and his only other tank mate was a male and i have never seen this before :p thanks though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1