Question: Help please

ClaireMc

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Guys, I really need some help. I had about 30 Axolotl eggs hatch 5 days ago. I got some fresh brine shrimp and gave it to them about 2 days after they hatched, which they didn't really seem interested in. I read they may not eat for 72 hours so yesterday I went back to the shop to get some more and the shop can't sell me any as it's in short supply.
I have tried various other aquariums etc but nobody seems to have any, now i'm worried they are going to starve to death. Can anybody advise me of an alternative to fresh Brine Shrimp, Daphnia etc which I could feed them.
Many Thanks
Claire

I haven't tried it, but you can try buying frog and tadpole bites, crush them, and sprinkle them in. I used to feed frog tadpoles like that. I believe the larvae only eat live food, though.

Unless you want to be going back to the pet shop every day to buy baby brine shrimp or can get hold of some small Daphnia (very hard in Australia), then you really need to hatch your own brine shrimp at home. It will probably cost about $40 to set up plus however much your brine shrimp eggs cost but once brought you can use it year after year. You might already have some of the equipment already. You will need:

1. An aquarium air pump plus tubing and air stone.
2. An aquarium heater ( I use a small 25w heater)
3. Desk lamp with 40w bulb.
4. Container ( I use a 3 litre milk container).

Then all you need is some brine shrimp eggs and some salt and you are good to go. Set up correctly you will have baby brine shrimp 24 hrs later.

Some people have had success feeding their babies cooked egg yolk so try searching the Forum for that and give it a try if you get desperate.

Regards Neil

You can buy the eggs from ebay, then hatched them yourself. I did it myself after 2-3cm you can feed them cut black worms which you can buy from local store.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back