Extremely cloudy water in cycled tank

constellatia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! My tank has been cycled for over a month now, with axie in. It's a 20 gallon and the axolotl is only 4 inches or so. It's bare bottom for right now and I feed a mixture of earthwork pieces and bloodworm every other day or so. Regardless how much water I change, the cloudiness comes back and I mean so cloudy I can't see the back of the tank. All water parameters are perfect: 7.8 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates. Any ideas?

It's common in cycling and newly cycled tanks. Usually the cloudiness is from bacterial blooms. It should clear up on its own. Just keep up with your water changes.

Your tank is still cycling. It can take 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank and is harder on a bare bottom tank. Keep testing your water. Keep doing regular water changes. Not more than 20% once or twice a week. It will finish cycling and clear up in a few weeks. Also remove any left over food within an hour of feeding.

Have you tried using fine filter floss or carbon?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back