Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Plants for Tylototriton shanjing

Sean90

Reaction score
I recently been researching enclosure and was wondering what live plants could be planted in the tank.
Also I was reading about letting the water touch the soil would that make the water to dirty by creating a slope.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
As a general rule, most standard species of aquarium plant are fine. The tricky part is lighting. Caudates generally exhibit stress response to bright light, so it is wisest to use medium and low light plants.

This is far too long a topic to even bother trying to discuss in a single thread as there are literally thousands of plants to choose from.

My advice is avoid bright light plants like elodea and anaracharis. In my experience they are more trouble than they are worth. Generally, if "java" is included in the common name, you are in good shape.

evut

Reaction score
I've got a fern from my garden in a terrarium and it grows really well, Hedera should also be good. Ficus pumila and Pothos are quite popular, as are Syngonium and Tradescantia.
Be aware that shop bought plants are grown using fertilisers and pesticides so they can't be planted straight away. Ideally use cuttings from someone who hasn't been using chemicals on their plants.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
In all honesty the list on my Build Thread I wrote out for plants are all Ferns originating from South East Asia or South West China lol check them out but its the only reason im using them.. Birds Nest Ferns are used a lot in them. But just watch out for Garden Centers and Places like B&Q as they tend to use Fertilizers a lot, if you do use them then clean off the soil and repot them in new substrate and leave them for a few weeks. Oh, amd wash the leaves lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!